LiPo 100mAh never charged

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ishback

LiPo 100mAh never charged

Post by ishback »

I've been charging a 100mAh LiPo for more than 8h and judging by the LED in the charger, it's never fully charged. I also connected it to a Teensy with just a pushbutton, no LED's, and it run out of juice in less than 30min. There may be something wrong with the battery?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LiPo 100mAh never charged

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It looks like you are using the default charge rate on that charger which is 500mA - 5 times the recommended charge rate for this battery. You need to replace the programming resistor with a 10K resistor to limit the charge rate to 100mA.
The included protection circuitry keeps the battery voltage from going too high (over-charging) or low (over-use) which means that the battery will cut-out when completely dead at 3.0V. It will also protect against output shorts. However, even with this protection it is very important that you only use a LiIon/LiPoly constant-voltage/constant-current charger to recharge them and at a rate of 100mA or less. We suggest our Micro Lipo charger, which has a 100mA default rate.

ishback

Post by ishback »

Ok thanks, I have a Micro Lipo Charger, will use this one. Do you think having charged the battery with the other charger may have damaged it?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Charging at a too high a rate is known to reduce the charge capacity and shorten the useful life of the battery (It is also a fire hazard). Most of the info on the subject pertains to larger battery packs so it is hard to know what to expect from a small cell like that. But I'd expect that charging at 5C for 8 hours would leave it in a less than healthy state.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Which Teensy are you using. The Teensy 3.0 uses 155ma so your battery should last 38 minutes

ishback

Post by ishback »

I'm using the Teensy 3.1, so this sounds about right. I'm trying to use the LowPower_Teensy3 library to extend the battery life, with interrupts on a rotary encoder but haven't been able to make it work yet. I may post a new thread tomorrow so it's easy to find for other people too.

Thanks for your support on this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”