Bluefruit EZ-Key - More than 12 buttons ? HELP!

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
matute

Bluefruit EZ-Key - More than 12 buttons ? HELP!

Post by matute »

Hi ,

I am starting a project of a electronic keyboard/piano with 72 buttons that should interact with an IPAD App via bluetooth.

The 1st step is just to have the picture of the keyboard on the app and when pressing a button/key , this will be highlighted on the App and a sound will be played.

I have read that with Bluefruit EZ-Key i can have up to 12 buttons only..... Is there another version with more inputs? any idea ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mathias

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Key - More than 12 buttons ? HELP!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The EZ-Key has 12 switch inputs, but it also has a TTL serial input. You can have your app send key codes for as many keys as you want via a serial interface.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... via-serial

matute

Post by matute »

Ok, Thanks!.

Sorry for all the stupid questions .... i am a beginner and i have ordered the arduino and the EZ-key but i havent received them yet, so i couldn't start testing.

I am still not sure about how to connect my 72 "piano" keys (from homemade keyboard) to the EZ-key and to the arduino .... in order to send a different key code for each " piano key".

EZ-key RX pin needs to be connected to #2 but not sure about the keys...:-(

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The EZ-KEy itself has only the 12 inputs, so you would need to send the keycodes to it via the serial link. There are no Arduinos with 72 GPIO pins. But you could use 5 of these to scan the keys.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/732
The Arduino could scan the MCP23017 port expanders via the i2c bus, then send the key-codes to the EZ-Key via a software serial port.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”