Windows 7 drivers

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Slorrin

Re: Windows 7 drivers

Post by Slorrin »

I've given up. I have tried every method here. The problem is this.

First i am told the drivers are unsigned,but i say "install this driver anyway" Then it says "installing driver" for about 15 seconds, then this "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Can not verify the digital signature, code 52... etc

i held F8 during boot but that did not bring up any advanced boot options. I tried a few keyboards, ps/2 keyboards, wireless keyboards, with F locks and without F locks... no way to bring up advanced boot options. I disabled driver signing using both methods described on the site linked above... neither seems to have worked.

I tried that other program that appends your driver and lets you run it while you run your OS in its "test mode"... that didn't work either.

How much trouble is it to create a signed driver?

If anyone knows a solution to this that works, please let me know

altitude

Post by altitude »

you need to press f8 right before windows starts loading but after POST, otherwise it wont come up. If you can get into your BIOS, then your keyboard is working right. The only way I got it to work was with disabling the driver signing.

xlinx

Post by xlinx »

If you have the UAC turned on, choose Yes to proceed. Otherwise, you should see the command windows opened already. In the shell window, copy paste the following and hit Enter.
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

rbhollabaugh

Post by rbhollabaugh »

Yet another try at this. Can someone please confirm that this works. It works for me. Libusb claims to have a signed driver now.

plug usbtinyisp into win7 64 bit PC.
Either don't install the driver or uninstall driver as supplied by adafruit.
Download usblib package from sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/

Unzip and go down to bin/x86 and run inf-wizard.exe
It makes the driver and installs it.
So far I can download arduino programs from Arduino rel18 or avrdude.
Also can download fuses and eeprom data to/from arduino via usbtinyisp.

rbhollabaugh

Post by rbhollabaugh »

More update. This worked for 1 atmega328 and it tested good in the circuit. Then I burned another. This one got errors on loading the eeprom. Decided I really need to fix this issue. I have a AVRISPmkII ISP I bought a while ago. It works with AVR Studio but avrdude does not know anything about it so arduino IDE does not work with it.
Here's a solution:
There are two options:
1. Compile with arduino IDE. The hex and eeprom files get put into $TMP on your pc. In a directory called build*****
Then download hex and eeprom using AVR Studio and AVRISP mkII.

2. Compile with arduino IDE.
Download hex and eeprom files to the target CPU using stk500.exe
With AVR Studio you get stk500.exe. This a somewhat similar to avrdude in functionality.
I use shell scripts to make the process easier and have Cygwin installed on my Win7 64bit pc.

It would not be too hard to change the shell scripts into batch files for DOS command line. Use Wordpad instead of Notepad to open the attachments. The line endings are not recognized by Notepad.

So, in the end I'd recommend just buying the AVRISPmkII. It's about $35. The driver is supported by Atmel and works on both my Win2000 and Win7 64bit PCs. The USBTinyISP is OK but I don't see the support for it. This issue(driver does not work on Win 64bit) has been known for quite sometime and the fix is nowhere in sight.

AVR Studio comes on a CD with the AVRISP mkII or you can download off the Atmel website for free.
stk500.exe is located in Program Files (x86)/Atmel/AVR Tools/STK500/stk500.exe
Attachments
stkload.txt
Script to download hex and eeprom files to CPU
(823 Bytes) Downloaded 306 times
stkfusewrite.txt
Script to changes fuses
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
stkfuseread.txt
Script to read fuses
(252 Bytes) Downloaded 335 times

charliex

Post by charliex »

i know this is a super old post,i was just passing time reading through old msgs on the forums.

For people with issues getting into test mode, or signing drivers this will help.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

libusb does have a signed driver now though.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

this has been solved, its the sticky post in this thread. please don't respond to 2 year old posts, it will confuse people :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”