Windows 7 drivers

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lorne in canada

Re: Windows 7 drivers

Post by lorne in canada »

Well It was there, under windows 7, now it isn't and the green light which used to work now is off and hardware scans don't find it. Okay how do I get the driver installed? The page says download but gives no hint on how to install a driver for something it can't see yet. Man the x0xbox was a piece of cake compared to this. Not fun, not reliable and a wasteland of people with problems on various boards. I have tested for continuity every solder joint and cable. This just is not stable tech, I guess because of all the software patches. Same reason I've learned to dislike my monome, too much layering of software just to get to the task at hand, playing or flashing some hex. Both of them stop working mysteriously and need full system reboots that might or might not work. Sigh.

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

Installation instructions for Windows XP are here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/drivers.html
However, it does not seem to work this way in Windows 7.
Use the programmer under Linux until this problem is fixed. I've never had any problem with it in Ubuntu.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Lorne in Canada wrote:Well It was there, under windows 7, now it isn't and the green light which used to work now is off and hardware scans don't find it. Okay how do I get the driver installed? The page says download but gives no hint on how to install a driver for something it can't see yet. Man the x0xbox was a piece of cake compared to this. Not fun, not reliable and a wasteland of people with problems on various boards. I have tested for continuity every solder joint and cable. This just is not stable tech, I guess because of all the software patches. Same reason I've learned to dislike my monome, too much layering of software just to get to the task at hand, playing or flashing some hex. Both of them stop working mysteriously and need full system reboots that might or might not work. Sigh.
Well, windows has consistently gotten worse for people who are not going to spend $ to get their drivers 'authorized' which is most of the electronics/open source hacking community - its not software patches or 'unreliability' on the part of the hardware, its the windows OS that keeps changing. The USBtiny, monome, arduino, etc. worked great for years on XP and then windows 7 came along and muddled up everything. One thing you can do is stay on XP, especially if you're planning to do a lot of hardware hacking. Otherwise you'll have to wait a bit while we figure out what microsoft changed to break the libusb drivers.

jambre

Post by jambre »

hey I just wanted to say I'm running Windows 7 and it seems to be working fine for me. I followed the directions provided and used the newest com0com. I had to restart and unplug and install drivers a few times but it works now. Just wanted to give you some hopefully not too false hope

unwiredben

Post by unwiredben »

I was able to get my Windows 7 laptop working with USBTinyISP a couple of nights ago. I'm running the 32-bit verison of Win7 Business. I did it by attaching the USBTinyISP, going into device manager and finding the device, then bringing up its properties and doing an "update driver". I then pointed it to the unzipped driver DLed from ladyada.net.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for the notes!

jrh53

Post by jrh53 »

I was thinking of buying a USBtingISP and I have Windows 7 64 bit. From reading this thread it seems not certain it will work? Anyone can verify they got the drivers up and running on Windows 7 64 bit?

macegr

Post by macegr »

I got it working under Windows 7 x64 without pressing F8. You need to use this tool: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

It'll allow any unsigned drivers to be installed. For the hardware hacker types, it seems pretty useful.

kool lites

Post by kool lites »

i followed macegr directions and was not sucessfull.
error message complain the software is not compatible with the device and should be 64bit
I have win 7 64x pro
I didn't try Vista before upgrading

charliex

Post by charliex »

FYI you can self sign, ms provides the unclassified category as well, whql is approx $450 per os for windows logo approve,

the authenticode certificate you need to sign or for winqual is $99

rbhollabaugh

Post by rbhollabaugh »

Windoze 7 64 bit. Lenovo ThinkPad T510. Arduino 18.
Tried to install the driver. At first it complained about no proper signature. Still gave it a shot but did not work. Then I rebooted. Now the green light on the ISP does not even light.

Once again the evil Microsoft empire strikes. Don't get me started. I've got a long list of proprietary market grabbing issues that I've been working around for years. Now this one.

With that said you know I'm not saying this lightly....but...
Limor, Could you either pay the evil empire their bribery charge or find a work around?

Thanks,
Rich

rbhollabaugh

Post by rbhollabaugh »

OK found a way to program the chips. I still can not get the usbtinyisp to work on Win 7 because apparently the driver does not work with Win 7. At least it does not work for me.

The goal is to make my own ISP.

My "Arduino board" is a boarduino and USB-TTL cable. Windows 7 recognizes the FTDI chip built into this cable. So the driver is no longer a problem.

I found in Arduino 18 there is an example program called ArduinoISP. Using my old Win2k computer and the usbtinyisp I downloaded the ArduinoISP to the 328 (Arduino). But prior to that I set the fuses in the 328 to be like an off the shelf Arduino w/16Mhz clock, etc.

OK - so now I have an "Arduino" with the ArduinoISP program loaded. If you have an official Arduino you would not have to go thru all the stuff I did - you would just download the ArduinoISP program using the bootloader and USB cable.

Next I took a new 328 and put it on a solderless breadboard w/crsytal, etc. You could use another Arduino instead.

Then I hooked up the wires between the ArduinoISP and Arduino (328) to be programmed like this:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Next I modified the boards.txt file to include a new board description that will use the ArduinoISP to download programs.
The important line is the upload.using line.

328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.name=328-16Mhz-arduinoisp

328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.upload.protocol=stk500
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.upload.maximum_size=32254
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.upload.speed=19200
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.upload.using=arduinoisp

328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDF
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.path=atmega
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.build.mcu=atmega328p
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.build.f_cpu=16000000L
328-16Mhz-arduinoisp.build.core=arduino

For more info see:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

In the Tools menu pick this board and download a program. So far it's working fine. My next step is to build a dedicated ArduinoISP. The downside to this is that you must use the same power supply for both the ArduinoISP and the target board (chip).

rbhollabaugh

Post by rbhollabaugh »

Making a little headway...

Found out how to disable driver signing (win 7 64bit):
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/05/0 ... cy-editor/

Rebooted. Now I'm getting this error:
Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

The light on the USBtiny is on. Windows shows the driver installed. It has a little yellow triangle by the device in device manager but shows it to be OK otherwise.
Using driver version 1.12.
Tried avrdude on the command line - version 5.4 that comes with Arduino package and version 5.10 that comes with WinAVR. Get the same error with Arduino and command line. This is all stuff that works just fine on my Win2k machine. Same code.

Read thru everything on this website plus Googled and so far have no resolution.

So why is libusb seemingly not working for me on Win 7 64 bit?
http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend

So when will the 64 bit driver be available? Please tell us you are working on this. Otherwise us 64 bit uses will have to move away from your 32 bit products.

I tried the F8 while booting and all that did was to disable all my USB devices.

altitude

Post by altitude »

I just went through this and the only thing that worked was the F8 thing to turn off the signed driver requirement (flashed an AtMega164 successfully). The home premium W7 64bit does not support the gpedit.msc and you cannot turn it on :? I tried the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider and that did not work either. It got rid of the ! in front of the device in the device manager but AVRdude could not find the USBtiny.

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

I gave it another try after a couple of months and now it works without any problem!

I downloaded "usbtinyisp w32 driver v1.12.zip", extracted it to a separate folder, removed files with _x64 in filename (maybe not necessary), opened Device manager, selected USBTinyISP, clicked Update Driver, pointed the installer to the folder with extracted files and that's it. I received a warning message, clicked yes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”