USBTiny and Arduino Duemilanove programming bootloader

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
VE7BDF

USBTiny and Arduino Duemilanove programming bootloader

Post by VE7BDF »

I tried to upload some screen captures below without success. What am I doing wrong?

1. First Result agrees with the tutorial (http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/avrdude.html)

2. Disconnected the USBTiny programmer from the USB port to power it down, then connected it to the 6 pin connector on the Arduino Duemilanove Board with a blank Atmega328P installed.

3. I was concerned about the signature differences so ran avrdude again as below:

4. I was still concerned about the device signature issue but decided to try and load the Arduino boot loader and received the following error in Arduino.

I am suspicious that the problem is related to the device signature issue. Any ideas what might be causing this?

madworm_de

Re: USBTiny and Arduino Duemilanove programming bootloader

Post by madworm_de »

Which error?

What is your question?

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

I have been looking through the postings and suggested methods of providing information but have obviously missed something important.

How does one upload screen captures to this forum? I have tried to upload an attachment containing the screen capture and the screen capture by itself without success. I get an error message advising that the format (docx) was not acceptable so I tried rtx format which it did not like either.

What am I missing?

Martin

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you get it as a JPEG or GIF?

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

Yes, I can get it in both formats. The problem I am having is with the process involved in posting it to the forum.

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

I am attempting to load an Arduino bootloader to an ATMEGA328P processor using a USBtinyISP. After building the USBtiny programmer I connected it to the USB port on my computer to check its operation as per the tutorial (http://www.ladtyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/avrdude.html). The 6 pin USBtiny 6 pin dongle was not connected.

1. The results indicated that the avrdude program was talking to the USBtiny as follows:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
2. The USBtiny programmer was then disconnected from the USB port to power it down, then connected using the 6 pin dongle to an ATMEGA328P set up on a breadboard with a 16 MHz oscillator working correctly. The following result is shown below:
ImagePBL.jpg
ImagePBL.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
3. The Arduino program was then opened as follows: ----> Tools --- > Burn Bootloader ----> w/usbtinyisp and attempted to load the bootloader program onto the ATMEGA328P with the following results:
Image BL.jpg
Image BL.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Have I screwed up in some way?

Martin

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

first, try installing the usbtiny driver (again) its been updated and on windows 7/vista it likes the newer driver
second, what IDE version is this?

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

Thanks for your response.

I downloaded and reinstalled the latest Windows 7/Vista (V1.2.1.0 - 07/28/2010) usbtiny driver again as suggested and checked things out as per previous tests with the same results.

I'm not certain that I understand your question on the IDE version. What are you referring to and where would I find this information?

Cheers,

Martin

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not certain that I understand your question on the IDE version. What are you referring to and where would I find this information?
The version of the Arduino IDE - it should be displayed in the title bar of the window. The current version is "Arduino 0022".

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

I am using the latest version of Arduino 0022.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you have access to avrdude, you might want to just use AVRdude, there's tutorials out there on how to burn bootloaders with it, we're sure

VE7BDF

Post by VE7BDF »

Thanks for the previous suggestions. I tried loading the bootloader with AVRDUDE several times using programs from several different sources, all with no success. Checking the Atmega 328P using AVRDUDE confirms that the chip is OK.

During my search I came across an article titled "From Arduino to a Microcontroller on a Breadboard". This article uses an Arduino board as an ISP to program the 328P and provides excellent detail to describe the process. I followed the process carefully and breadboarded the 328P with a 16 MHz external crystal and checked its operation out with the USBtiny programmer using AVRDUDE. I was also concerned that I may have been using an incorrect bootloader program so I downloaded the Arduino 0022 program again and reinstalled it. I erased both of the newly purchased 328P chips using AVRDUDE so that there would not be any other data on them and disconnected the USBtiny programmer.

I then placed one of the 328P chips on the breadboard and connected it to my Arduino Duemilanove Board following the instructions provided in the article. I then opened the Arduino program Tools ---> Board ----> Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega 328 ----> Burn Bootloader ----> w/ Arduino as ISP.

The following error was observed:
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
It would appear to me that I have probably missed something simple in the setup, although I can't think what it might be. The error refers to a sync problem, but I can't see what I can do about it.
Any ideas or thoughts?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”