To resist, or not to resist...

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tastewar

To resist, or not to resist...

Post by tastewar »

Bought my kit recently when they came back in stock. Although I have no immediate need/use for it, I hope to, and it seemed like a manageable project. Something to keep my soldering skills from getting too rusty.

So I came across this in the instructions:

If you are using the UsbtinyISP with a SpokePOV kit, install R4 and R7 (1.5K) as well. If not you may want to switch these resistors for jumpers (see the second photo for a 'finished' shot) as it will mean that target boards with loaded pins can be programmed.

And I think to myself, "but I don't want to choose! I want to be able to do either in the fyoocher! And I don't actually want to have to buy another one of these."

You have many bright customers, and many enthusiastic ones as well. I'm inclined to believe the problem has therefore already been solved, and am wondering what solutions they might have come up with. My simple, inelegant though was to mount the resistors a little high, so I can easily/temporarily short them out later.

I wish the board had either a DPDT switch or some shunts to choose which "mode" it was operating in. Maybe rev 3??

adafruit_support_bill

Re: To resist, or not to resist...

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

mount the resistors a little high, so I can easily/temporarily short them out later.
Some have done as you suggest. Others have wired in switches. These solutions are not always pretty, but they work. :)

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

Thanks. Hoping that can go in as an "official" suggestion for the rev. 3 board :-)

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

So, I originally soldered in the resistors, but then the first thing I wanted to do with the Tiny was to write new firmware to a GameOfLife board. So I did as suggested, and wired in a DPDT switch to conditionally short the two leads from the resistor. Seems to work, as I was indeed able to program the chip on the board. But, as suggested above, it is pretty ugly! I hope I never have to open that case up again!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”