Error when burning BL: Expected signature is 1E 95 0F

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
easternstargeek

Error when burning BL: Expected signature is 1E 95 0F

Post by easternstargeek »

Folks:
Just assembled my USBTiny from an Adafruit kit. Tried it out burning the bootloader on a stock Arduino UNO. Seemed to work OK- Arduino Pin 13 flickering merrily, the USBTiny red LED came on for exactly 2 minutes, then it went away, and the Arduino 1.0 IDE message said that the bootloader loaded successfully. ("Done burning Bootloader")

Next, I popped out the stock chip and replaced it with a BANNED one I bought from Mouser. The imprint on the chip is:

(Atmel Logo) 1112
ATMEGA328-PU

Now when I tried to burn the bootloader, the IDE returned:

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

Just to be sure, I tried to burn the Bootloader onto the stock chip again. No problems- worked exactly as described above.

I bought several of these chips from Mouser at the same time, and I get the same message with each one.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thank you.

*** UPDATE ***
Uh-oh... I think I may have answered my own question. The Stock Arduino chip is a ATMEGA328P-PU

The ones I bought at Mouser were simply ATMEGA328-PU.

I found this on the Arduino forum:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=58670.0

I will try it, and post my results back here in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.
*** Update Update ***

Yes, that's what it was. The inconvenient thing is that you have to change the AVRDude.conf BACK after you're done burning the bootloader and BEFORE uploading a sketch. I will now go to the Arduino.cc forums to try to figure out how to get the IDE to recognize the ATMEGA328-PU chips more easily.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”