Avrdude

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Avrdude

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Axman,

Not sure what the cause of the problems is. But if you are under time pressure, the simplest thing might be to go back to the last version of the Arduino Environment that was working. All the old versions are still available on the downloads page. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

platypus

Post by platypus »

I had similar issues but resolved all of them, eventually.

I suggest to look at Adafruits usbtinyisp articles and make sure you are using the correct driver.

There is one for a 64bit operating system here http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/download.html
I can tell you it works for Windows7. This driver has the correct date stamp(after Win7 was released) contrary to another driver out there that predates Win7's release - and will not work.

The 32bit driver is on the same link as above and first up on that page.

I also bought a few of Sparkfun's usbtinyisp's which Limor Fried helped co-develop - they are already assembled.

I still use Arduino IDE V23 as V1.0 has code syntax changes and other issues that are not backward compatible with many programs V23 and before, so instead of rewriting all your code, just get up and running with V23 first.

Another tip - when plugging your Arduino in to the ICSP cable make sure the cable runs across the board(not to the outer edge). Yes it's nonsense but that's how they wired up the ICSP plug to the usbtiny.

Now if using IDE V23 find and open the Preferences.txt file and edit the line which says upload.using=usbtinyisp (line 24 of the code).
The default is upload.using=bootloader.
Save the file.
Now open up the IDE followed by attaching the usb to the usbtiny. You should see the blue and red led on (Sparkfuns version).
If you had the IDE open while trying to edit the file it won't take - close the IDE and try again.

If you are using IDE V1.0 this operation is unnecessary - but I prefer V23.

The critical part is getting the right driver correctly loaded and following these steps.
If you get it right then you can repeat the upload sketch, burn bootloader process as often as you like (good to do it a few times to get the feel of it).

You don't need to worry about Avrdude. Downloading Avrdude is not necessary if you want to upload with usbtiny. The IDE already has Avrdude.
But I have Avrdude downloaded as well.

Good Luck.

bendito

Post by bendito »

I installed the latest version of WinAvr 20100110. New at this, but when I run avrdude in the cmd line the avrdude ver is 5.1 and not 5.5
I was confused by this for a while, too. To clear it up, was it actually 5.10? The WinAvr 20100110 actually comes with 5.10, which is one step up from 5.9, as opposed to being equal to 5.1. I think that it is the latest version.

Just attempting to clear up confusion for anyone else wondering about the avrdude version.

platypus

Post by platypus »

Yes it was the latest version.

However I have moved on considerably since that post in May 2012.

I now use the Atmel AVRISP MK11 programmer. This is a serious number of levels up from the usbtinyisp.

It works on all the controllers and uploads most program's in about 8 seconds, not the 30+ seconds that it takes the usbtiny.

I have found that it is a very trusty programmer.

Can I suggest to use the latest IDE, 1.0.2 which supports the programmer directly from the menu.

I now upload on the fly - real in circuit reprogramming, with LCD etc attached, everything operating.

The AVRISP Mk11 data connection plugs in to the ICSP from the outside edge of the board, unlike the usbtinyisp which needs to run across the board - different pin 1 orientation.

The controller must between up as the programmer does not apply power, only data.

If anyone wants to use the Atmel Avrisp Mk11 for a Win7 OS, here is the driver location:
http://mighty ohm.com/blog/2010/09/AVRISP-mkii-drivers-for-windows-7-vista-x64/

This was from a post on the Arduino forum on August 10, 2012 - the link address is:
Arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=118089.0
Topic name - "How to configure the Atmel AVRISP MKii to work with Arduino IDE"

This programmer costs about $35 + freight from Atmel direct or a reseller such as Element14.

Hopefully this should help many who might be having issues with their external programmer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”