Uploading sketches

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gumby

Uploading sketches

Post by Gumby »

Hi all

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but I am new to this . I am a software engineer so all this hardware stuff is a bit daunting to me.

I've built the USBtinyISP and to test it I burned the bootloader to a chip using Arduino 1.0 IDE - all good.

Now what I can't do is use it to upload sketches. I choose USBtinyISP as the programmer but when I try the upload it complains that it can't find COM16. I was under the impression that USBtinyISP doesn't use serial ports and they are grayed out in the menu when I choose USBtinyISP as the programmer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Gumby

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Uploading sketches

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The "Programmer" selection in the "Tools" menu applies to burning bootloaders. Sketch uploads generally use what is selected in "Serial Port".

What are you trying to accomplish here? If you have already burned a bootloader, you don't need the USBTinyISP to upload sketches. You can do so directly via a USB/COM port. If you want to burn a sketch to a bare chip, then you don't need to burn the bootloader.

For information on burning sketches without a bootloader, see: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

Gumby

Re: Uploading sketches

Post by Gumby »

My mistake. As I said, I am very new to all this.

Everything working as it should and I'm very happy. Sorry to bother you.

Gumby.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”