USBtiny Has No Green Light, No USB Interaction

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
captbics

USBtiny Has No Green Light, No USB Interaction

Post by captbics »

HELP !!!

Answering your "How to get help!" protocol questions:

1. KIT or DIY: I have built the USBtiny from your Adafruit kit.
2. WHAT OS: I am using a WinXP desltop (and I also tried a Win7 laptop).
3. What PROGRAMMING S/W: I have WinAVR-20100110 loaded (on both the WinXP machine and Win7 laptop), but I never got that far. No green light on the programmer and no USB recognition of any device. The USB ports work fine with a flash drive so they are functional.
4. DID IT EVER WORK, AND IS THIS FIRST TIME USE: Yes, this is my first attempt. It has never worked once.
5. POST SCREENSHOTS: I never got this far - no screenshots to post.
6. POST PHOTOS: I am attaching 2 photos, one front and one back.

After carefully assembling and double-checking orientation of key parts (electrolytic capacitor, ICs, LEDs) the device is not working and appears dead. I socketed both ICs.

When I plug in the USB cable, I see NO GREEN LIGHT. There is no WinXP response at all, and Win7 has no response either. Nothing. Neither sees the device. I tried multiple USB cables and USB ports on both PCs (one WinXP and one Win7 laptop), all with the same result.

I see 5V from the USB cable present on the board from VCC to GND.

I performed continuity checks around the board, and all looks nominal as far as wiring goes. I even checked the continuity from each IC pin through the socket to the underside of the circuit board, and all looks good. The electrolytic capacitor + pin is oriented correctly. I see no bad solder joints.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

USBtinyISP_front.jpg
USBtinyISP_front.jpg (169.91 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
USBtinyISP_back.jpg
USBtinyISP_back.jpg (161.12 KiB) Viewed 4534 times

abqlewis

Re: USBtiny Has No Green Light, No USB Interaction

Post by abqlewis »

It's a little fuzzy, so it's hard to tell, but is there a small solder bridge between 2 of the USB pins (backside jpeg, far left, middle, top 2 pins)? Even if they are not hard shorted, you might want to reflow them to get some separation.
Also (and maybe even easier), I think there is supposed to be a driver involved if you are using Windows. An .inf file? Did you install it? And I think it has to be a specific version.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Double check the possible solder bridge mentioned in the previous post (zooming in, it doesn't appear to be bridged, but it doesn't hurt to check).
If that doesn't help, contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement USBTiny processor.

captbics

Post by captbics »

I checked and there is no solder bridge between any of the 4 USB socket pins. It is very clear under my lighted magnifying glass I use. I think what was seen in the photo is some sort of a glint from my light source. I reflowed the solder just in case.

@abqlewis - from my experience WinXP should recognize some new hardware on the USB port, then try to find the drivers for it. As it does that it makes an audible sound and displays the bubble messages stating what it is doing. Nothing is happening. It is like it is not there and not plugged in.

After I reflowed the solder, I plugged the device into several USB ports again, all with the same response -- nothing.

I will contact customer support for a replacement USBtiny processor.

Thanks for the comments,

Jon

captbics

Post by captbics »

UPDATE: SUCCESS! Adafruit sent me a new AVR chip which worked like a champ. The green USB connectivity light illuminated right away on first contact with the USB port (unlike before), and I was able to install USBtinyISP on WinXP, WinXP x64, and Win7 x32 systems with no issues.

I then successfully updated the firmware in the Ice Tube Clock to the version supporting the GPS antenna module using my Win7 laptop and avrdude instructions (NOTE: you do have to remove the Ice Tube from the board or the update will not work -- the instructions say to remove it, but I did not think it would make any difference for reprogramming -- IT DOES!).

The updated Ice Tube Clock firmware works fine.

Now I've got to solder the 3 wires and try out the GPS and see if it will work under my skylights.

Thanks for all of the comments and help from this forum.

Jon

captbics

Post by captbics »

...and the GPS module seems to work great with the Ice Tube Clock given there is a skylight in the room.

kbuehring

Post by kbuehring »

I have run into the same problem.....any suggestions? Mine was also from a Kit bought from Adafruit. Trying to run on a Windows 7 64bit. Has not worked on any computer I have tried, windows XP, 7-32bit, 7-64bit.
IMAG0357(2).jpg
IMAG0357(2).jpg (741.04 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Just great quality picture taking on my end. Sorry.
Just great quality picture taking on my end. Sorry.
IMAG0356(2).jpg (174.95 KiB) Viewed 4096 times

adafruit_support_bill

The assembly & solder look good from what I can see. Check the green led leads to make sure there is no short between them.

kbuehring

Post by kbuehring »

Thanks. Checked the leds and still no luck. Have any other possibilities for me?

adafruit_support_bill

Contact support @adafruit.com with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement USBTinyISP processor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”