Unable to connect to Spoke POV

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rwmcgraw

Unable to connect to Spoke POV

Post by rwmcgraw »

Hi I hate being "That" guy, but just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

Built SpokePOV - 2 batteries in, all LED's cycle in order and 1 LED on each side remains lit.
When I plug USBtinyISP into my usb port I get a green light
Connect to spoke pov and click "Connect" Red LED lights & I get the "could not find, try adjusting delay" error message
I've adjusted the delay in 1000 increments from 1000u sec. all the way up to 25000 and get the same response.
Tried on both an older imac and pc with same results.
I've check most of my solders and they seem clean - replaced iron about halfway through the project. Just looking for a place to start - hardware or software?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Unable to connect to Spoke POV

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you know that the USBTiny is working?
Post clear, detailed photos of both sides of the spokepov and we'll have a look.

If you're not sure about the usbtiny, post pictures of that as well.

rwmcgraw

Post by rwmcgraw »

Well I donned the dreadded glasses and was able to see a couple of solders for the connectors that didn't look great - re soldered and everything seems to be working just fine. Wrote 4 images to the SpokePOV from the pc, now just need to get them installed and tested so I can start adjusting animation rates & offsets. Thanks for the help!!

rwmcgraw

Post by rwmcgraw »

OK It's CRUNCH TIME! My Moonlight Madness ride is tomorrow night. Rear SpokePOV is installed and ROCKING!! Front wheel - not so much. It powers up just fine, but I can't connect to the AVR programmer. Gives me the Port not found errors. I have no problem connecting to my other SpokePOV. I put on my glasses & a new tip on the soldering iron and got to work. Saw some weak solders that I took care of, and ended up replacing the 8 pin socket for the IC. Still same problem. I've checked and rechecked my solders - everything APPEARS fine. When I attepmt to connect the red led on the avr programmer lights for a split second then they both go out before the error message pops up in windows (XP). When I plug and unplug the 10 pin connector I've noticed that the led's react - different ones lighting up as I plug and unplug. I've checked and rechecked the solders on the 10 pin socket and they seem fine. I have not swapped ic's from my other SpokePOV, but that's next! Any other suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post clear photos of the front & back of the boards we can take a look too.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Also, check to make sure that none of the pins on IC1 were bent when you inserted it into the socket.

rwmcgraw

Post by rwmcgraw »

Had to take a couple of days off - the unfortunate reality of Moonlight Madness bike rides at 40 degrees makes you sick! I ended up pulling the 10 pin connector and there were some shorts where the solder collected on the other side of the board. I cleaned them up but still had the same issues. I'll get some decent pics up here as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”