Problem configuring with the SpokePOV software

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
willanderson324

Problem configuring with the SpokePOV software

Post by willanderson324 »

Hi all,

I bought a triple SpokePOV kit, which included a USBtiny kit. I'm using Macbook Pro (late 2009, 5.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) running OSX 10.6 and I had the standard issue of the green light not lighting up until the Spoke POV software has a quick chat with it (caught me out for a while!)

However, when I go to configure it, the voltage on pin 1 of the 10-pin connector is too low (normally around 2V but when I tested it a moment ago it was on about 0.3V :? ). I've also tried it on a computer running Windows XP and I have the same problem. This is my first time trying to connect to the chip.

I've checked the connections as best I can and I can't see anything wrong. I've also confirmed that the board is getting 5V from the USB connection. I'm not really sure what's wrong! Below are a couple of pictures of the front and back of the board, if anyone could take a look and suggest what I should try that would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Will
Front of the board
Front of the board
Front.jpg (127.38 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Rear of the board
Rear of the board
Back.jpg (643.87 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Problem configuring with the SpokePOV software

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you have batteries installed in the SpokePOV? USB power is not enough to run the board. Make sure you remove the power jumper before attaching to a battery-powered SpokePOV

willanderson324

I do have batteries installed in the SpokePOV, however the SpokePOV isn't connected when configuring using the SpokePOV software as it asks for just the USBtinyISP to be connected (i.e. removing the programming cables). Although I could have got this wrong!

adafruit_support_rick

What tutorial are you following? Pin 1 is the SPI MOSI signal line. It's not Vcc, and it's not anything you can measure with a voltmeter.

willanderson324

I've uploaded some screen shots of the in-programme instructions I'm following :)

Thank you so much for your help Driverblock!

Plugged in the USBtinyISP via the a USB port on my computer, selected test port from the config menu:
Step 1
Step 1
1.jpg (132.18 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Step 2
Step 2
2.png (177.91 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Step 3
Step 3
3.png (187.25 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

willanderson324

I've got it! :D

Sorry for being such an idiot! Your post about the power jumper made me realise that I forgot to put the jumper on when testing it without the SpokePOV attached. Doh! Thanks for all your help :)

adafruit_support_rick

Cool!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”