USBtinyISP not finding target

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Marmotta

USBtinyISP not finding target

Post by Marmotta »

I've been trying to get into AVR programming for a while, but haven't managed to even detect a single chip despite trying with Sparkfun's AVR Programmer and the USBtinyISP. I keep getting the same "Initialization failed, rc=-1" in AVRDUDE that everyone else seems to get, but have checked my connections and they seem fine. I'm specifically trying to program an ATMega8 using the following schematic on a prototype board:

Here are the best pics I could get of the USBtinyISP with my phone's camera:

Edit: Oh, and I am using Windows 7 64-bit...

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USBtinyISP not finding target

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I think you need a clock on your target chip. Hook up a crystal and see if that helps.

Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I put a 16Mhz crystal bridging PB6 and PB7, followed by a 22pf capacitor on both lines going to GND, but still have the exact same issues :cry: If my placement is incorrect, could you let me know where to hook up the crystal?

I want to be able to program, but is beginning to get annoying...

adafruit_support_rick

That's the right place for the crystal. I just checked the datasheet, and it says that the part ships with the fuses set for the internal RC oscillator, so if this is a fresh chip, you shouldn't need the crystal anyway.

I don't know why it's not working. Maybe it's your breadboard? Sometimes, they have flaky sockets. Try moving it to another area. Are you sure you're getting 5V to Vcc and RST?

914EV

Post by 914EV »

Thank you, this was the clue I needed to fix several OpenEVSE boards I had made up. The file I used must have been missing the connection from pin 1 of the Atmega to pin 5 of the header. Added a jumper and finally have communication with my USBTiny! Thanks again.

Mike in SJ, CA

adafruit_support_rick

Mike - Cool! Glad you found us.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”