"Could not find USBTiny" - trying to burn Leonardo bootloader onto 32u4

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasonwebb

"Could not find USBTiny" - trying to burn Leonardo bootloader onto 32u4

Post by jasonwebb »

Got my USBtinyISP last week and got it all soldered up. Initially I was having the problem that other users reported where my Win7 x64-bit wasn't letting me install the driver, but I was able to use the driver found by wayneft (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17112).

I am attempting to burn the Leonardo bootloader onto an ATMega32u4 through the Arduino IDE. As per the instructions page, I selected Tools > Programmer > USBtinyISP, then clicked on Tools > Burn Bootloader. Here is the error that I get:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

I know this is a really generic error message, but I'm not sure what to do. I have followed the instructions listed on the "HELP!!" page, but I'm still getting the error.

What can I do to investigate this further? I have no experience with avrdude, only the Arduino IDE.

jasonwebb

Re: "Could not find USBTiny" - trying to burn Leonardo bootloader onto 32u4

Post by jasonwebb »

I have found that by unplugging it and plugging it back in, I can get the a different error message from the Arduino IDE once in a while. Sometimes I now get:

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

No clue what this means though...

jasonwebb

Re: "Could not find USBTiny" - trying to burn Leonardo bootloader onto 32u4

Post by jasonwebb »

Sorry for the triple-post, but I can't seem to edit posts here :S

I connected the USBtinyISP to an old Duemilanove (168) and was able to burn it's bootloader onto it successfully. So it seems my other circuit board is the problem.

I thought my circuit was extremely simple, and I referenced the Adafruit Atmega32u4 breakout board schematic to see how the ISP header is connected. I'm fairly certain they are the same. Here's my schematic, can someone spot any major problem with it? http://jason-webb.info/wp-content/uploa ... ematic.png

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”