Using this with MiniPOV

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

Using this with MiniPOV

Post by magician13134 »

Well, I got it up and working, so I figured I'd test it out by loading my MiniPOV firmware to a black atTiny2313, so I wrote mypov.hex (following the tutorial), it said it succeeded, so I put that microcontroller in my MiniPOV, and nothing happened... My MiniPOV works fine with the 2313 I programmed using the MiniPOV itself... any ideas?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

how did you connect it, are you sure you wired it up right and used the right command?
read the avrdude tutorial
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avrdevtut/
this is probably not a usbtinyisp problem but a wiring problem

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Ok, sorry, it was a problem with the mypov.hex file, but how can I compile these files without having the miniPOV plugged in? If I type "make program-mypov" it just says it can't find the miniPOV. Thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

read a tutorial on avr-gcc

wtfwtfdef

maybe?

Post by wtfwtfdef »

Ladyada i think it may be a problem in your makefiles... could you setup a section in your makefiles to compile and one to program? so we dont have these problems? or maybe could you show how in these post, what code to add to makefile to seperate sections of programming and compiling to intel hex format?

CCarlson

Post by CCarlson »

Well, that's a heck of a thing to say. Don't you think somebody would have come forward before now and said something if she was distributing erroneous Makefiles?

I assure you they work just as they should--I just re-made several .hex files with no trouble whatsoever.

timv

Post by timv »

what code to add to makefile to seperate sections of programming and compiling to intel hex format?
You don't have to add any code. Just type "make mypov.hex" and that's what Make will do.

Then, when you have your programmer plugged in, type "make program-mypov". Make will recognize that the .hex file is up to date and it will only write the file to the chip.

Voila, you have separated the two parts of the process.

Here's a link to a nice little tutorial on Make:

http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~isg ... /tutorial/

It's a nifty utility that just about everyone uses, and the MiniPOV Makefile is pretty simple as these things go. It's definitely worth learning a little bit about using it if you're having trouble with basic stuff like this.

Hope this helps.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”