Arduino 10 supports USBtinyISP!

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
evilpaul

Arduino 10 supports USBtinyISP!

Post by evilpaul »

Just thought I'd put out that bit of information, since everyone might not be aware.
Just tested it myself, burning the bootloader to a new ATmega168 from my MacBook Pro.
I have an LED blinking, all is good.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup! :)

stevecooley

Re: Arduino 10 supports USBtinyISP!

Post by stevecooley »

evilpaul wrote:Just thought I'd put out that bit of information, since everyone might not be aware.
Just tested it myself, burning the bootloader to a new ATmega168 from my MacBook Pro.
Hey, so I have a friend who is wanting to get started with arduinos. I bought a USBtinyISP... I'm such a noob when it comes to electronics, so... uh.. can I use this box to act as a usb->serial interface? Right now I'm using an FTDI cable to go from USB to 6 pin serial for the modern devices barebones board... and/or the lilypad arduino, for that matter.

adafruit

Re: Arduino 10 supports USBtinyISP!

Post by adafruit »

stevecooley wrote:
evilpaul wrote:Just thought I'd put out that bit of information, since everyone might not be aware.
Hey, so I have a friend who is wanting to get started with arduinos. I bought a USBtinyISP... I'm such a noob when it comes to electronics, so... uh.. can I use this box to act as a usb->serial interface? Right now I'm using an FTDI cable to go from USB to 6 pin serial for the modern devices barebones board... and/or the lilypad arduino, for that matter.
i have no idea what you're asking
can you rephrase your question

stevecooley

what devices can I program with this...

Post by stevecooley »

Basically, I'm looking to determine which arduinos I can use the USBtinyISP to send programs with.... not bootloader... I know virtually all arduinos are compatible to send bootloader with the USBtinyISP

http://moderndevice.com/ barebones - has a 6 pin ICSP interface, is that just for bootloader reburning?

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardLilyPad has a 10 pin interface... and the page says
The ATmega168V on the Arduino LilyPad comes preburned with a bootloader that allows you to upload new code to it with the Arduino software. You can also bypass the bootloader and program the ATmega168V through the ICSP (In-Circuit Serial Programming) header; see these instructions for details.
then this page: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer
says:
If you have an external programmer (e.g. an AVR-ISP, STK500, or parallel programmer), you can burn sketches to the Arduino board without using the bootloader. This allows you to use the full program space (flash) of the chip on the Arduino board. So with an ATmega168, you'll get 16 KB instead of 14 (on an ATmega8 you'll get 8 KB instead of 7). It also avoids the bootloader delay when you power or reset your board.
So is the USBtinyISP a device that I can attach to the ICSP sockets of these boards and send program data to them? I know this is probably a completely obvious question...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes, it can program any AVR with 10 or 6 pin ICSP headers

stevecooley

Post by stevecooley »

Ok, so just for clarification, and now speaking from experience:

USBtinyISP is capable of programming AVRs from AVRDUDE, etc., and has been successfully tested to reburn arduino bootloader code from within the arduino IDE. However, mine does not send arduino program code from the arduino IDE to the target (barebones) arduino board.

When I have the USBtinyISP connected to the computer (2.33Ghz allegedly 64bit core 2 duo macbook pro) and target arduino, and I do this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/cu.*
I only get:

Code: Select all

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    9,   1 Nov  1 00:41 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    9,   3 Nov  1 00:41 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
So it does not serve as a serial port connection that the arduino IDE currently supports. I can, however, get the arduino IDE to see it to reburn bootloader code.

It may still be a true statement that the USBtinyISP can program the arduino, since it's an AVR based board, just not from within the arduino IDE at this time, yes? Is this all correct, or am I getting something wrong?

And thank you in advance for your patience, I really appreciate your helping me get up to speed on these tools.

-steve

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

um, the usbtiny is not a usb to serial device. its a custom device that wont show up under /dev

i think you don't understand the difference between a bootloader (which is a piece of software on a chip) and a programmer (which is a piece of hardware)

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avrdevtut/programmers.html

stevecooley

Post by stevecooley »

Yeah, I don't understand the difference. Or, didn't.

Thank you for the help understanding it better. I have no formal training in electronics. I'm just a web programmer/visual artist. I'm just doing this for fun, so the concepts are pretty hard to grasp without daily indoctrination with supervision and assessment measuring.

Buuut that's just an excuse... I'll get there with the help of people like you. Thanks very much for your patience.

stevecooley

Post by stevecooley »

Ok, would you say this diagram accurate?

http://sc-fa.com/url/?u=MTA2NQ==

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes that is ideal!

stevecooley

Post by stevecooley »

ok, awesome. If you want to use the diagram in your documentation, please feel free to do so! :) I know some people have a much easier time understanding abstract concepts with the aide of a visual diagram... ( like me... )

haxor

Can burn bootloader with tinyisp, but not programs

Post by haxor »

Under Arduino 10 I can burn a bootloader to my Boarduino using the tinyisp on a Windows XP machine, and all is ok. However, when I try to upload a sketch, I get the following error:

"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51"

I'm thinking that the Arduino software at this point isn't getting the message to use the usbtiny as the programmer, but I don't see any "select programmer" option. Any suggestions??

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

er, did the boarduino work with the Arduino software before you did this?

haxor

Post by haxor »

Boarduino works OK with this PC using usbtiny and Avrdude, but burning the bootloader is the only thing Arduino software has been able to do.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”