USBtinyISP not working

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zeekey

USBtinyISP not working

Post by zeekey »

Hi, I am completely new to this forum. I bought the USBtinyISP kit from the adafruit website and am running on 64 bit Windows 7. I have not even been able to get the ISP to work once. Whenever I plug it in I cannot get the drivers to install and only the red led turns on I have never seen the green led turn on. I am posting pictures of my completed kit to see if I installed something improperly or if my solder joints are not right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Back_min.jpg
Back_min.jpg (768.59 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Front_min.jpg
Front_min.jpg (942.49 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USBtinyISP not working

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That's a really nice build. I think you've done type of thing this before?

Sounds like the problem you're having is related to the Windows driver not being installed. Are you using a USB3.0 port? We have seen problems between USB3.0 and a variety of different devices. Ifyou can, try a usb2.0 port, or connect through a self-powered hub.

Does the USBTiny show up at all in Device Manager? If so, try uninstalling whatever driver is associated with it, and then install the correct driver. You can do this by right-clicking on the Tiny in Device Manager, and selecting 'Uninstall'. Right-clock again to install the correct driver.

Also, make sure that the folder containing the driver is unzipped. Sometimes people forget to do that - Windows will happily let you think that you're installing the driver correctly from the zipped folder, but the operation will quietly fail.

zeekey

Post by zeekey »

I have made sure not to use a USB 3.0 port, and I definitely have the driver folder unzipped. After uninstalling the driver the USB port disappears and I am unable to install the drivers. Also when checking the status of the driver windows determines it is up to date or unnecessary. At this point I am beating a dead horse; since it seems that I am having the same issues everyone else is having. If there are any new or different ideas for installing the drivers it might be helpful. I will continue to try already stated methods in hopes something will work.

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

After uninstalling the driver the USB port disappears
Does it disappear, or just get moved to "unknown devices"?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”