Solved: USBtinyISP: USB device not recognized on all computers

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SB555

Solved: USBtinyISP: USB device not recognized on all computers

Post by SB555 »

Hi,
I have assembled my USBtinyISP v2 kit and tried to connect it to my Windows 7 x64 machine. The green LED lights up, I hear a "new hardware found" sound, and after a second, another. Then a message pops up telling me that the USB device was not recognized (an error 43). The green LED always remains on.
I have checked for continuity pretty much everywhere using the schematic. Everything seems to be in order.
To confirm that the microcontroller is still working, I removed the ATtiny from the board and with an arduino used as ISP I uploaded a testing program that flashes an LED on and off. The fuses are also set to use the external oscillator, which I connected to my breadboard using jumper wires. There were no problems programming the device and the LED was flashing. This should also confirm that the oscillator is working. Then I've reprogrammed the USBtiny firmware.

After trying many things, I decided to try it on another machine. I have tested my board with a WinXP x86 laptop. To my surprise, the programmer worked! Then I've tried it on another windows 7 x64 machine, which is almost identical to my first machine (exact same brand and model, just an age difference with a few different hardware features). The programmer also worked on that machine...

Any ideas to help me out? I am pretty confident it is not a hardware issue, because the programmer is confirmed to work on other machines. I think the first machine is just stuck with something in the windows registry, as it doesn't work to install the drivers using the device manager...
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by SB555 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: USBtinyISP: USB device not recognized on all computers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Does it show up anywhere in Device Manager? (check "unknown devices)
What kind of USB port is it? We have found that some USB 3.0 ports have difficulty with some devices. (Most likely due to tighter timing tolerances).

SB555

Post by SB555 »

Yes, it does show up, listed as "Unknown Device" under "Universal Serial Bus-controllers". On the two other machines it shows up correctly with the correct name and in a separate category.
They are USB 2.0 ports.
Best regards

adafruit_support_bill

If there it has a driver assigned to it, uninstall that driver. Then try to manually install the correct one.

SB555

Post by SB555 »

That does not work, when reinstalling it tells me that the best driver is already installed, like this:

adafruit_support_bill

it tells me that the best driver is already installed,
That is why I said to uninstall any existing driver first.
After you have uninstalled it, you should be able to install the correct one (download from here: http://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/download )

SB555

Post by SB555 »

I'll try this again later, but I've already uninstalled multiple times already and it said that all the time. I must have missed something :) I'll reply my findings.

adafruit_support_bill

Don't unplug the device after uninstalling. If you go through the device discovery again, Device Manager will just re-install the wrong driver again.

As soon as you uninstall, re-install the right driver. Don't let Device Manager pick the driver for you. Use the option to browse to the location of the correct driver.

SB555

Post by SB555 »

When I try to uninstall the driver, the device disappears from the list and I cannot right click anything to install the right driver. How do I have to do this?
When plugging the device in, it also never asks me to search for drivers in a certain location... It also doesn't seem to work using the manual installers supplied with the 64 bit driver.

adafruit_support_bill

When I try to uninstall the driver, the device disappears from the list and I cannot right click anything to install the right driver. How do I have to do this?
Does it disappear, or just move to unknown devices? When I have done this, the device dialog box is still open after the uninstall. While it is still open I click on the button to update/install the driver.

SB555

Post by SB555 »

It disappears and I can't find it in any other category. I can't find an unknown devices category either. I have tried this now by leaving the properties window open. This time it doesn't automatically use the wrong driver, but it still tells me it cannot find the right driver in the location specified :(

adafruit_support_bill

Very strange. Not sure what to suggest. Not sure why it would be a problem on that machine only.

SB555

Post by SB555 »

Indeed, very strange. I am trying various things to install the driver(s) manually, like hdwwiz.exe and other things, no success so far.

SB555

Post by SB555 »

Found the solution :)
I tried many things, but I'll try to list the steps which I think are important.
I first tried manually installing the drivers by doing win+r and entering "hdwwiz". Here I was able to install the drivers (both x86 and x64 versions, just in case) but the device still couldn't be recognized. I am not sure if it was necessary to do this step, I just did this while trying to fix it!
Then I installed the following hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528984
After rebooting and uninstalling the unknown device again, the programmer was finally detected as "USBtiny"!
I also tested the programmer, avrdude could talk to it.
So glad it works now. Thanks for the help :)

adafruit_support_bill

Great! All my Win-7 machines are Core-i7, so that explains why I've never seen the problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”