Blue Screen Of Death

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JamesBrown

Blue Screen Of Death

Post by JamesBrown »

I am getting a BSoD consistently when I install the USB driver for USBtinyISP. This is the process.
1 Load my operating system from a backup. Windows 7 with all the updates.
2. Connect my USBtinyISP device to my USB port. Turn it on. No driver found
3. Download usbtinyisp_w32_driver_v1.12.zip from adafruit and unzip it.
4. From Computer Management, Device Manager update driver of libUSB-Win32 devices tinyISP
5. Accept warning from Windows
6. Restart Computer. This results in a BSoD with the following:
usbhub.sys address A1BA1F2c base at A1B87000, DataStamp 4D8C04DA
7. Cold boot computer and remove the driver completely
8. Restart Computer. Works correctly
9. Restart second time. Works correctly

I repeated this process three times with consistent results.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Blue Screen Of Death

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Try a different USB port. Try a different USB cable.

If the problem persists, post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your USBtinyISP circuit board.

JamesBrown

Post by JamesBrown »

Rick - Thanks for the reply but there is no way a driver should cause a BSOD no matter what the hardware is like. This must be a software problem - don't you think?

frank26080115

Post by frank26080115 »

We need to know what else you have installed. For example, I have had plenty of BSoD problems before, it was mostly due to a malfunctioning filter driver. If you have any such drivers, it can be a problem, so uninstall them. Uninstalling my filter driver solved the BSoD.

The filter driver I had was something that grabs data from the device and maybe redirect it somewhere else. For example, a software USB protocol analyzer might grab the data to analyze before passing it on to the next driver. A libusb-win32 filter can be created for any device and prevent the real driver from working at all, this allows you to write stuff using libusb to talk with any device you want. Even some video games might install a driver that grabs mouse/keyboard/gamepad data before it reaches the operating system (highly unlikely and bad practice though, standard APIs exist for a reason).

USBtiny is a hack, there are some USB specs and standards that it doesn't meet, so the chance of having a filter fail is a bit higher if it doesn't account for some abnormalities. (normal USB devices should do "action A", but USBtiny did "action B" instead, it doesn't know how to handle this situation, crash)

So if you think you've ever installed anything like that, uninstall them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”