attiny2313 in usbtinyisp corrupted

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wtfwtfdef

attiny2313 in usbtinyisp corrupted

Post by wtfwtfdef »

I have a large magnet on my wavetek meterman 37xr multimeter to hold it to things, and it touched my tinyusb now chip is corrupted.

trying to reprogram my chip the way I have programmed chips before I got my usbtinyisp kit, using a ghetto parrallel programmer and avreal. I took main.hex from spi dir to write and it doesnt work. what are the fuse bits i am supposed to set in hex?

also there is multiple dirs with hex files at differnt STACK points STACK= 32 STACK = 39 do you need to write the main.hex's of each folder somehow? any help to get my usbtiny back would be great.

am I supposed to use High fuse = df , low fuse = ef ???????????

theres another line commented out with high fuse/low fuse differnt..

this is from the 1.04 firmware..

IS the firmware package compiled already? I am using macosx and am trying to learn how to compile using darwinports versions.

I think I may be on the right track though
1-hex file is main.hex in SPI dir? this must include the eeprom hex too??
2-use fuse bytes DF and EF ???

please any help would be greatly appreciated, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

wtfwtfdef

Post by wtfwtfdef »

there is a pdf in the SPI dir of firmware that shows a completely different schematic. Is the /spi dir .hex not the correct firmware maybe? If anyone can post correct firmware compiled it would be greatly apprecieated. Also is ver 2 of the schematics going to be posted so you can inspect board?

timv

Post by timv »

The USBtinyISP downloads include a lot of files from Dick Streefland's USBtiny project, which Ladyada adapted to make the programmer. I haven't built USBtinyISP but I downloaded the files to look and learn, and the file that you're talking about is the schematic for a USB-to-parallel-port converter. (It says so in the lower right corner of the pdf file.) It isn't the USBtinyISP circuit.

"main.hex" in that directory appears to have been built from "main.c" which includes the ISP programming functionality. That's the file that the Makefile asks avrdude to write, so I would go with that one.

But look carefully at it yourself and make sure you feel confident that you're doing the right thing. That's kinda the point of this do-it-yourself stuff, right? :-)

Hope this helps.

wtfwtfdef

yabut

Post by wtfwtfdef »

when you buy a kit you expect some kind of support if you run into troubles, like a corrupted tsop and how to reprogram it if the USBtinyISP is non functional from adafruit.com.
its not really DIY, its kitting.

timv

Post by timv »

Can't say that I really see much difference there. I do this stuff to learn as much as I can, and most of what I learn is from solving the problems that always pop up along the way. The kit is just a starting point, easier and cheaper than buying the parts individually.

As you described it, you didn't "run into troubles, like a corrupted tsop." You shorted the chip yourself. Hey, it happens. Now you get to fix it. I offered all the help I knew to give.

Good luck working it out.

wtfwtfdef

Post by wtfwtfdef »

just looking for some help if anyone knows

I am really new to this and there is no courses in AVR programming :( :roll:

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

if your magnet scrambled the program memory, it may well have scrambled the fuse settings too. no telling if you need to program it with an external oscillator or without or what else may have been changed.

might be time to order a handful of 2313's and take that magnet off your meter.

adafruit

Re: attiny2313 in usbtinyisp corrupted

Post by adafruit »

wtfwtfdef wrote:I have a large magnet on my wavetek meterman 37xr multimeter to hold it to things, and it touched my tinyusb now chip is corrupted.
err...im not sure a magnet can damage an IC. i mean, its silicon in there, not lead. :?:
trying to reprogram my chip the way I have programmed chips before I got my usbtinyisp kit, using a ghetto parrallel programmer and avreal. I took main.hex from spi dir to write and it doesnt work. what are the fuse bits i am supposed to set in hex?
this is -all- in the spi directory makefile
Last edited by adafruit2 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Re: yabut

Post by adafruit »

wtfwtfdef wrote:when you buy a kit you expect some kind of support if you run into troubles, like a corrupted tsop and how to reprogram it if the USBtinyISP is non functional from adafruit.com.
its not really DIY, its kitting.
i can send you a new chip in exchange for the one that was 'erased by a magnet', what was your order number?
Last edited by adafruit2 on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mtbf0 wrote:if your magnet scrambled the program memory, it may well have scrambled the fuse settings too. no telling if you need to program it with an external oscillator or without or what else may have been changed.

well, i mean...fuses can't be erased or set with a magnet. its a completely different mechanism than a hard drive. UV light could do it but that requires quite a bit of effort :)

timv

Post by timv »

I thought his point was that the magnet was metallic and that it had shorted out the pins when he bumped them. (Dunno how likely that would even be to scramble it...) But it's very kind of you to offer to replace it nonetheless.

rb76543

Post by rb76543 »

ladyada wrote:
mtbf0 wrote:if your magnet scrambled the program memory, it may well have scrambled the fuse settings too. no telling if you need to program it with an external oscillator or without or what else may have been changed.

well, i mean...fuses can't be erased or set with a magnet. its a completely different mechanism than a hard drive. UV light could do it but that requires quite a bit of effort :)
i dropped an anvil on my chip and it curshed all the metel peices. can you fix it for me. i payed lots of money and i expect support dammit.

tia

rod

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

ladyada wrote:

ok. i'm no engineer, but my guess is that the use of the word fuse here is a linguistic relic. these boogers are obviously electrically rewritable. i mean there's no wee little window there to admit uv light. you don't have to point the remote at it when you tell avrdude to program the fuses.

i'll shut up, now, having happily stipulated that i know not whereof i speak.

bye

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

absolutely! they're electrically re-writable as well as UV. however, magnets have no electric properties (unless they're moving though a metallic area, etc etc.)

Hazard

Post by Hazard »

Unless he moved the magnet too fast, creating a changing magnetic field inducing voltage in the microcontroller! lol
Otherwise I don't see how a magnet could affect it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”