R=-1 Error...

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Tanner8

R=-1 Error...

Post by Tanner8 »

Hey. I built the device and the 5CCLX2N was not used because the package did not come with a socket for it. I plugged it in and I run the test and I get that error. The green light goes on and I plugged it into my TV B Gone PCB that I made. The PCB has the 10 pin connector, microcontroller socket and the battery pack. I put the TV B Gone microcontroller into it and I just get that error. I tried unplugging/replugging checked my solders, switched the cable around...Everything I can think of... What's going on?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what do you mean by "the 5CCLX2N was not used"?

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

The piece that looks like an extended version of the TV b gone micro controller. The thing is, I see a spot for it on the V2 board but it didn't come with a socket for it. It just came with the microcontroller. The text on it says 5CCLX2N. In the V1 USBTinyISP there is not a spot for it on the board. Did you guys forget to give me a 14pin socket for it? Or is it not needed?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you mean the 74AHC125?
no socket is needed
but if you dont put it in, well sure... its not surprising that it doesnt work. its a necessary component. if you get a kit with 10 parts you really do need to use all of them or it wont work. ;)

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

Well, I needa get on that!

I thought you guys forgot to give me a socket for it. So I just solder that baby right in?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

http://ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/solder.html

"Instructions coming soon! (until I have them up, just follow the v1.0
instructions and solder in the 74HC125 in the correct location, making sure the notch in the chip matches the notch on the PCB silkscreen)"

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

SORRY! I was so busy following V1.0 I forgot about the bold message on V2.0... I saw it in the beginning and said I would go back to look at it but I just forgot... I will solder that laster and tell you if it fixes the problem...

Edit:// Same error... What exactly should I be typing into the command prompt for the V1.1 TV B Gone?

I re soldered some things and made sure everything was making contact. The green light is on, the drivers are in, what's going on?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

assuming you built everything correctly, 99% of the time, this means your programmer is fine and you have a wiring problem w.r.t the target chip

http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/help.html

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

Ok, lemee tell you how I set this up because I may have done something wrong...

This is with the jumper in.
I plugged the USB into the computer. I plugged the IDC cable into the top of the USBTinyISP with the red wire on the side of the jumper. I plugged the other end into the TV B Gone PCB I made. This PCB JUST has battery seat, 10 pin header, 8pin socket, and the tv b gone microchip in it. I put the batteries in to the seat and then opened the command prompt and typed "avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8" and that error came up. I left the 6pin IDC cable out because I don't need that.

I tried that with batteries in/out jumper in/out and same thing.

Did I do something stupid? If you can't understand I can try to draw a picture or take one of this little rig I got going. Thanks

Oh and when I enter that in the prompt the red LED goes on for like .25 sec then goes back to green.

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

I find that I have to do things in this order to make things work (with the jumper on the programmer OFF):
  • 1. power to the AVR chip off
    2. disconnect USB cable from programmer's USB connector
    3. put AVR chip in programmer's socket
    4. power to the AVR chip on
    5. connect USB cable to programmer's USB connector
    6. run make file with "make program" or "make burn-fuse"
Mitch.

opossum

Post by opossum »

Try installing the resonator on the PCB.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

oPossum wrote:Try installing the resonator on the PCB.
what he said :)

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

What part is that? It is not on the tv b gone parts list.

Mitch. How would I go about running the make file? I opend the makefile thing and set it to "USB", I did the setting you said. I can't figure out how to use this thing and run it. From the cmd prompt?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

resonator == oscillator

Tanner8

Post by Tanner8 »

Thanks, I will put that in now and see if it works.

Edit:// Something got messed up somehow and now the green light isnt even turning on... It's not reading it on the computer anymore. I just resoldered any parts that may look sketchy but that didn't help. I also changed USB ports and tht didn't work either...wtf

Edit2://Ok I had to reseat the long microcontroller thing.

Edit3:// Yeaaahh!! I am almost there! I got that fixed! The check checks out OK now!

Now I gotta figure out how th program the micro controller.

Thank a bunch guys, I will post back if I have anymore issues!

FINALLY!!! After hour upon hour of playing with this I got it to work! I tested it by remarking out the panosonic code ( as test of course )and seeing if it shut off the panosonic...it didnt. It flashed succesfully. Yayyyy

I also found out that you don't need the batteries if you put the jumper in. Now I got a hanging battery seat :P

Is it still necessary to do the Makfile thing Mitch stated? If so, how can I go about doing that?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”