using atmega8515

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
axos88

using atmega8515

Post by axos88 »

Hello!

I would like to know if I have to make some changes to the code if I am using an atmega8515 for the programmer, because that is what I have on hand right now.

Thanks
axos88

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes you will probably have to rewrite a large portion of the assembly code

axos88

DONE

Post by axos88 »

I can confirm that using an ATMEGA8515 works fine, without rewriting any code, just recompiling that, but that isn't any trouble as the atmega8515 has 8k flash, so it doesn't matter that the code gets a little bit bigger. :)

I am still debugging why I can't read the flash from the device, but I think it is an AVRDUDE command error, I can read/write eeprom, and read lock, fuse and calib bits okay. I haven't tested writing the lock, fuse and calib bits

EDIT: for some reason the flash reads okay i think (i can see the progress bar, and it takes ~ 4 sec), but nothing gets written to the file... wierd...

EDIT2: I am using the next command: sleep 3; avrdude -p m8515 -c usbtiny -P lpt1 -U flash:r:flash.bin:r

EDIT3: I can confirm that flash reading/writing is O.K. I think avrdude might have truncated the file to 0 bytes because the flash was "empty", meaning that it contained only 0xFF-s. Maybe avrdude truncated to the last non 0xFF value, and so the file got 0 length :) dunno.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try
avrdude -p m8515 -c usbtiny -P lpt1 -U flash:r:flash.hex:i

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”