Avrdude not working under win32

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
axos88

Avrdude not working under win32

Post by axos88 »

Okay. This is when I really start hating microsoft. Avrdude is working fine under linux, but under win32 it says it cannot find the device (avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)).
I have installed the driver, and it shows up under the device management. USB light goes on as well.

So... Tell me, oh mighty Microsoft, which rule did I not obey?

It really sucks, because I'm stuck under win32 because AVR Studio only runs under windows :((... Or is there any nice IDE for linux too? Including a simulator?

Thx,
axos88

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did you install the latest version of winavr to do this?

axos88

Post by axos88 »

I'm using avrdude 5,5, so it should support it. The problem is not with not supporting tinyusb anyhow. I don't know if the winavr is the newest version, my internet is crappy now, i was bearly able to post this reply, will check later, but I don't think that would make a difference (only avrdude is used, right?)

axos88

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

out of curiousity, try downloading the patched version from the usbtiny website (replace avrdude.exe, avrdude.conf and libusb0.dll) and let me know if that works. thanks

axos88

Post by axos88 »

Ok, works... Now... WTF was that?!!

Thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

library mismatch, ill look into it :(

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

I'll have to try that.

I had the same problem, never posted because I didn't really have much incentive to get WinAVR working once I got my AVR toolchain working on my Gentoo partition.

rb76543

Post by rb76543 »

Entropy wrote:I'll have to try that.

I had the same problem, never posted because I didn't really have much incentive to get WinAVR working once I got my AVR toolchain working on my Gentoo partition.
i love this forum

ok

bye

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Entropy wrote:I'll have to try that.

OK so basically what happened is that when I made the USBtiny driver, i used the latest version of libusb (v1.12). For some reason, WinAVR was built against a 2 year old version of libusb (v1.10) thus compatibility problems. I've 'solved' the problem by providing 2 versions of the driver, one with v1.10 and one with v1.12. If you want to use the latest WinAVR, just make sure you install the older version of the driver.

Hopefully the next version of WinAVR will use the latest library rev :)

UGH! :shock:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”