Trinket - install drivers??

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kpwr

Trinket - install drivers??

Post by kpwr »

I'm sure this is a problem that's been encountered before and apologize for not being able to find an answer that seems relevant

I'm on windows 7 with a 5v trinket that I bought from adafruit directly. I can't get it up and running. When I plug it in

- red light blinks, green light on
- i put the drivers in my arduino folder (mistake - not sure where they go?). I downloaded them from http://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

- the windows that pop up do not match the tutorial though
- finally it says that it cannot find the drivers
- when I tried to add the drivers, i received an error that they were not signed
- when I go to the Device Manager, i see an entry "USBtinyISP AVR Programmer"

any guidance on where to look next to troubleshoot is hugely appreciated.

thanks in advance,

AK

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Trinket - install drivers??

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The windows drivers can go anywhere. I usually just leave them in my downloads folder.

The driver is not signed, but you can tell windows to go ahead and load it anyway.

You followed these instructions? The windows should look very similar
http://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

kpwr

Post by kpwr »

thanks for the reply Rick. I'm a relative novice with this stuff, but have managed to get several arduino projects to work. I'm now trying to the trinket because it's cheaper and I can leave the projects intact.

probably because I'm not hugely technical -- the directions for getting the tricket up and running are extremely confusing.

e.g I don't really know what a bootloader does, nor can I tell whether it's working right or not. I see the USBtinyISP listed in my device manager, but ...

e.g. i've got ver.1.05 of the IDE running, but there's no option for the trinket board (and I don't have a sense of where to even begin to troubleshoot).

Is this salvageable? i'm pumped to make it work, but the online directions are giving me fits.

thank you
Andrew

adafruit_support_rick

KPWR wrote:e.g I don't really know what a bootloader does, nor can I tell whether it's working right or not. I see the USBtinyISP listed in my device manager, but ...
The bootloader is a special program that lives on the Trinket and never goes away. It copies your sketch from the IDE to the Trinket.
KPWR wrote:e.g. i've got ver.1.05 of the IDE running, but there's no option for the trinket board (and I don't have a sense of where to even begin to troubleshoot).
You should have downloaded and installed the adafruit version of 1.0.5 from the tutorial. That will have board options for the Trinket, Gemma, and Flora.
http://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-t ... rduino-ide

kpwr

Post by kpwr »

thanks Rick... been working on this over the weekend.

my error message is "avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)" ... I definitely hit the reset button and the red light was blinking when I tried to upload the Blink sketch. I've refresthed the avrdude.conf file, which looks like the first thing to try. do you have any thoughts on the next thing to try?

thanks again for your help -- much appreciated.

Andrew

adafruit_support_rick

Try a different USB cable, try a different USB port, try connecting through a self-powered USB hub.
These kind of problems generally come down to the USB hardware. I've got an iMac that won't find a Trinket no matter what I do, and I've got a MacBook Pro that finds the same Trinket easily.

evamvid

Post by evamvid »

I had the same problem -- I solved it by doing what it said at https://mightyohm.com/blog/2010/09/fixe ... windows-7/

Good Luck!

hochschild

Post by hochschild »

I'm having some trouble installing the drivers for the Pro Trinket 3v on my Windows 7 computer. When I go to https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers[/color] and click on "Download the Windows 32/64 Driver (XP/7/Vista)", then plug in the Pro Trinket, I do not get "Welcome to the Found New Harware Wizard" window as described. "USBtiny" does show up in Device Manager under "Other Devices" with an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. When I click that and select "Update Driver Software - USBtiny" and select search my computer, I get the message "Windows could not find driver software for your device". Also, Pro Trinket does not show up under Ports. A search find many files containing "usbtiny", but the board does not show up in the IDE unter tools/board. Would much appreciate some assistance. Richard.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you select browse and point it to the folder with the driver files what happens?

hochschild

Post by hochschild »

Thanks for your reply. The suggestion in your post worked in that I got a message "driver installed successfully". But when I plug the Pro Trinket into the USB port, the window "Welcome to New Found Hardware Wizard" does not appear. When I search "New Found Hardware Wizard", I get the screen shown in the the attached .jpg file. When I then click the highlighted line or the line beneath it, a window flashes briefly and disappears. I can't make out what it says. In Device Manager, the category "Other Devices" with sub-category "USBtiny" has disappeared. There is no mention of "USBtiny" anywhere. The category "Ports" shows now new port when Trinket is plugged in. I have tried other COM outlets with the same result. In the IDE, under Tools, Trinket does not appear as a new board.

Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
ProTrinketA.jpg
ProTrinketA.jpg (140.59 KiB) Viewed 9305 times

adafruit_support_rick

If the driver is installed correctly, the Trinket should appear as a USBtinyISP under "LibUSB-Win32 Devices". Do you see that?

hochschild

Post by hochschild »

I do not see what you mention, i.e. I find no "libusb-win32 devices" file on my computer. The closest thing is the file "...\usbtinyisp_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0". The contents of this file is identical to the picture attached to my prior post (1/20/15) except for the addition of "libusb-win32-bin-README.txt", which discusses some renames. Again, thanks. Richard

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try running the installer.exe file in the folder you highlighted as you would a normal program. It looks like it is not a driver file but a driver file installer.

adafruit_support_rick

hochschild wrote:I do not see what you mention, i.e. I find no "libusb-win32 devices" file on my computer.
Look in Device Manager

hochschild

Post by hochschild »

Reply to adafruit_support_rick: I looked in Device Manager. Found no reference to "libusb".

Reply to franklin97355: When I run the highlighted .exe file in my earlier picture, a window flashes briefly and disappears. I can't make out what it says. In Device Manager, there is no mention of "USBtiny" anywhere. The category "Ports" shows now new port when Trinket is plugged in.

Thanks to you both.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”