USBTinyISP is working, but Windows doesn't like it

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CardMan

USBTinyISP is working, but Windows doesn't like it

Post by CardMan »

Hello everyone,

please help me out here.

I assembled my USBTinyISP and it is working... ON MY SISTER'S LAPTOP.

Because of a confusion I made when I installed it on my own laptop, now every time I plug the device in, Windows tells me "Unknown Device" and refuses to work.

I tried (almost) everything you can imagine to make it work (deleting from the device manager, removing the dll and sys files from windows\system32 and system32\drivers, rebooting the laptop a number of times, etc. etc.).

Doing a search on my Registry, I noticed an entry for a "USBTinyISP", and even tried to delete that entry so I could start from scratch, but Windows doesn't let me to delete it.

Another thing: when I try to "update driver..." an inform the correct driver (1.10), Windows tells me that "couldn't find a better match for the device".

I wonder if anyone encountered this problem too and/or would have any idea what I can do next.

Thanks a million.
Cardman.

CardMan

Unknown device still there

Post by CardMan »

Hello everyone.

I just wanna help anyone out there who may have the same problem.

I didn't fully resolve my problem above ("Unknown device" keeps popping up when I connect the device directly to my PC), but the way I was able to keep going was to use a hub. When you use a USB hub, Windows doesn't look in the same location in the Registry; instead it creates a brand new set of Registry entries for your device.

Cardman.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

You're using XP right? You need to force the correct driver on it. Go into device manager, and find the "unknown" device for the usbtiny. Right click it and click update driver.
Now do exactly as I say.

When it asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software" choose no and click next.

On the next screen choose "Install from specific location" and click next.

On the next screen choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" and click next.

Press the "Have Disk" button

Browse to the location of the driver files, and open that folder. (Use your common sense here, I can't describe it exactly) The usbtiny/spokepov driver should now be listed, choose it and install it.

All should be well.

simön

Post by simön »

Hello!

I have exactly the same Problem.
I build V1.0 of USBtinyISP and windows allways says "unknown device". But if i try to install the driver like descriped in the posting above it says something like "no driver-information for this device in this folder..." or something like this. Whats going wrong?

Using WinXP and Laptop with USB 1.1/2.0

thanks for help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”