Intermittent issue with USBtiny

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
norxposr

Intermittent issue with USBtiny

Post by norxposr »

I'm having an intermittent issue with the USBtiny where it isn't recognized by avrdude. The green LED lights up and the computer properly recognizes it as a usbtiny. The goofy part is if I plug and unplug in a bunch of times, I will hit some magical land where it works. Avrdude sees it and uses it properly burning a hex file to the chip. I can even check the chip and see that it is doing what I expect. Now if I try to write it again, or really do anything, it isn't recognized anymore, and I have to start the whole plugging and unplugging dance all over. On some occasions the green light doesn't come on and the computer does see it either. When that happens, nothing really works except leaving it alone for several hours.

Here is the avrdude error message:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the whole microchip arena, and I can't make any headway when it takes 30 minutes to get the code to upload each time I try stuff out. Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Intermittent issue with USBtiny

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It could be a cable problem. Try a different cable and see if it behaves differently.

norxposr

Re: Intermittent issue with USBtiny

Post by norxposr »

I finally got back to this (work interfering with play), and I can't seem to duplicate the issue. The only thing I changed was I removed the two resistors that the instructions recommend removing if you aren't using it for SpokePOV. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, or if I picked up a different cable. Either way, it seems to be working. Thanks for the reply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”