Parts problem, building own board, any help?

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NLRevZ

Parts problem, building own board, any help?

Post by NLRevZ »

Hi, I have a few issues which I can't solve on my own, seeing as I'm new to anything that has to do with ICs (and etching ;) (which I have NO clue about where to get the right stuff anyway).)
I'm going to be making my own USBTinyISP from scratch, as I live in the Netherlands, and can't get anything from "over there" :P
Now my little problems, among (less important) others are:
* I can't seem to find all nessecary parts, and of some parts I'm not sure whether I have the right ones:

I'm going for a 1.0 board, unfortunately, as i can't find the buffer chip for a 2.0 in the BANNED, found a capacitor, though :)
Found parts:
- ATTINY2313-20PU DIL 20 -> obviously, the ATTINY chip (x 1)
- Keramische condensator 0,1µF 2,54 mm -> Ceramic capacitor 0,1µF 2,54 mm (x 1)
- some resistors: 1.5K , 10K and 47 ohm (1/4W, 5%, all strips of 100x)
- Zener-diode -> (Z-Diode 500 mW 3.3V, only thing they have in 3,3V) x2
- LED 3mm red
- LED 3mm green
- USB B female (print mount)
- Angular "Snap-off" pin headers, gold plated (more than enough for this)
- Straight "Snap-off" pin headers, gold plated (2x 10 pins just to be sure that I've got enough)
- 10-pin plug for the flatcable DIN 41 651??? don't know what that means, but the plug is 2x5 pin...
- 6-pin plug for the 6-wire flatcable (same story as the 10-pin female plugs)
- 2 metres of 10-wire flat cable -> part of which is being cut into 6-wire cable
- a set of 2mm and 2.54mm jumpers

NOT FOUND:
12 MHz ceramic oscillator (resonator+C), only found THIS

(and for the 2.0 board I would need that buffer chip, which seems to be non-existent here, but what do I know eh :P )

Secondly, I haven't got the slightest idea on how to actually produce a working PCB (etching), and what stuff to buy in order for me to be able to do it..
Plus the fact that I have to design my own, and seeing as I know nothing about PCB design on TWO sides.. I know how to route on one side though (A BIT :P)

Any help will be really appreciated, so many thanks in advance!

Kevin.

trialex

Post by trialex »

So what are you planning on programming the Attiny2313? You'll need a programmer for that!

So maybe you could build a programmer to program your programmer, but wait! what are you going to program THAT with?

SOunds like this project may be over your head, especially if you have never laid out and etched your own board before.

Buy the kit, pay the postage, and save yourself hours of frustration and wasted time!

NLRevZ

Post by NLRevZ »

Well, that isn't much of a problem I guess, I already built a simple AT(Tiny) programmer (with 20DIL socket) for the parallel port, for a school project last year. It should (read SHOULD) be able to program the 2313 also, seeing as the tutorial I made it from used that for testing the programmer with..

This year though we have to build something again, but as it's the final year for me (I'm 17 you know :P) we have to do something more difficult, so I went to the teacher and asked if I could make a more advanced version of that basic idea, and he said it was OK..

So I HAVE to build it from scratch.. PLUS the fact that I want to learn from this, and "hours of frustration and wasted time" are nessecary for me to learn anything, so I don't mind that at all :P

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

you can order from adafruit with paypal. Supports dutch banks as well (postbank, rabobank). I ordered my package on sunday and got it here on friday.

probably cheaper then BANNED too... (dollar price < euro price)

NLRevZ

Post by NLRevZ »

I know all of that, but I really have to make it myself, although i may be buying a kit too just for myself (I'm not getting my school project back until I graduate from this school, for display purposes). Is it possible to include the parts that are wrong/missing from my list as spares when I would order a kit?? Of course with monetary compensation of some sort ;)

opossum

Post by opossum »

A crystal & caps can be used instead of the resonator

12 MHz Crystal - 22 pF cap

The Zener diodes must be 3.6 V, not 3.3 V. It is not reliable when 3.3 V is used.

You could build it on a prototype board...

NLRevZ

Post by NLRevZ »

Well, thanks for the advice, I think I'm just gonna go for it :P and maybe I'll buy a seperate kit for my own use :)

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

12mhz resonator on ebay if it helps
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Mhz-3-PIN-CERA ... dZViewItem

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”