Malfunction Error

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
squeed

Malfunction Error

Post by squeed »

I just completed soldering my USBTiny programmer together today. I'm getting an error message when I plug it into my Windows laptiop.

The error message is "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windeos does not recognize it."

I've tried using the device manager to install the new drivers but then I get a message that says that Windows has determined that the driver that I have is better than the driver that I am trying to install.

Two things, 1, neither LED is on when plugged in and 2, I don't think that this matters but I figured that I would mention it. The first piece that I soldered in was the 20 PIN IC Socket. After I got it in, I realized that I soldered it in backwards because the notch for knowing which way to put the IC chip in was not matching the PC board. But, when I inserted the chip, I made sure that I put it in right according to the PC board. I hope this makes sense. But the chip is in the right way, the socket is just backwards, but I figured that didn't matter.

Thoughts on my problem ?

-S

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

laptops are notoriously picky, do you have a desktop you can try it out on?

squeed

Post by squeed »

I have a Mac G4 laptop, but no desktop. I plugged it into my Mac that would normally pop up a desktop icon letting me know that a new device was connected, but nothing happened. Also, neither LED is lit.

a. square

Post by a. square »

I'm using a USBtinyISP on my MacBook pro, and it works fine. Nothing will pop up on a Mac saying that it's connected, but the green light should come on. Are your laptop AC adaptors plugged in when you're trying these? Laptops often don't like powering things over USB if they're not plugged in.

Now I'm no expert, but if the green LED (power indicator) isn't turning on, it implies that your board isn't getting power (or, at least, the LED isn't). Are you sure everything's soldered correctly? Is the polarity of the LEDs correct?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

squeed wrote:I have a Mac G4 laptop, but no desktop. I plugged it into my Mac that would normally pop up a desktop icon letting me know that a new device was connected, but nothing happened. Also, neither LED is lit.
yeah mac laptops are usually OK. not having the green LED on is suspicious. i would post a link to a nice clear photo of the top and bottom of the kit in case something is in backwards or otherwise wrong

squeed

Post by squeed »

Here are the top and bottom. My camera is not the best, so I apologize ahead of time for the quality of these shots.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... 70417f.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... a58fa0.jpg

squeed

Post by squeed »

Also, I don't know if this matters but my cable length is 10 feet.

squeed

Post by squeed »

Any ideas ? I posted the pictures.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

is your xtal 8mhz? its worth double-checking
i would try another cable and a different USB port -justincase-

squeed

Post by squeed »

What is an xtal ? I bought a 3 foot cable and tried that and the same issue, no green light, and same malfunction error. Also tried my powered USB hub, same issue.

-S

squeed

Post by squeed »

If you are talking about the three pronged beige ceramic oscillator, the one that came in my kit says 15 or 16 on it, it's hard to tell.

http://www.ladyada.net/images/parts/10MHzcermosc.jpg

-S

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you oscillator has a '16' on it then its the wrong kind. we sent out 20 or so with the wrong oscillator
you should email [email protected] to get a replacement

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”