Where to you put the ATTiny when you program it ?

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
squeed

Where to you put the ATTiny when you program it ?

Post by squeed »

OK, I still don't have my ATTiny programmer working yet, but I'm thinking positively.

When I do get it working, where do you plug the chip in to program it ? I have a 6 pin and a 10 pin cable sticking out of the device, but if I counted correctly, the ATTiny chip that actually came with the kit is actually 20 pins.

As you can tell, I'm a newbie.

-S

CCarlson

Post by CCarlson »

Check out Evil Mad Scientist Lab's post about Minimalist Target Boards.

(It seems that I've found my niche...I don't actually make anything with all my electronics, but I'm really good at pointing people to those target boards!)

squeed

Post by squeed »

Does this mean that the kit that I bought can not program a chip without building one of these boards ?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

in theory you could solder wires from the chip directly into the ISP cables but that would mean you can only program one chip :)

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

squeed wrote:Does this mean that the kit that I bought can not program a chip without building one of these boards ?
you could do it on a breadboard. stick jumpers right into the end if the isp and connect to the appropriate rows on the breadboard.

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

As to why it is done this way - Those 6-pin and 10-pin connectors are standardized pinouts for Atmel AVR in-circuit programming. The idea is that nearly any board that is designed to be reprogrammable will have a 6-pin or 10-pin header compatible with the connectors on the USBTinyISP. (ISP stands for In-circuit Serial Programming, sometimes called ICSP.)

squeed

Post by squeed »

I think that I'm starting to understand. Thanks.

So then once I get my unit working, if I get a breadboard and solder a 6 pin and a 10 pin IC socket into it with 6 pin and 10 pin connectors, then I should be able to program using that board right ?

The other question I have is that the ATmel chip that comes with the ATTiny has 20 pins, so how would that chip have been programmed ?

It doesn't look like I could program it with the ATTiny ?

-S

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”