Help with Atmega32A

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paggss

Help with Atmega32A

Post by paggss »

Bought my programmer from you and am having trouble with the programmer recognizing the Atmega32A which is not listed on the avrdude parts list so, consequently I get an RC- 1 error message. The chip is recognized by Atmel Studio 6. How do I resolve it?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Help with Atmega32A

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

RC -1 means that the programmer is not getting a response from the target. It could be that the target isn't powered, or that it doesn't have a clock, or that there is a wiring problem between the programmer and the target.

If it's not represented in avrdude, how are you specifying the target processor in the command line?

paggss

Post by paggss »

Have other folks been having the same problem I'm having? Has there been any problems with the 32a and the controller in the past?

I'm using an inline 6 pin adapter attached to pins 6 thru 11 on the chip from the programmer. I've checked continuity between each adapter pin and they all check out ok. I tried using wires from the the programmers adapter plug directly to the pins and I changed the microcontrollers position on the breadboard and rewired it.

I assume it's getting power through pin 10.

I'm using: avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32 (target device) I tried using m32a but the programmer doesn't recognize it.

How do I check if it has a clock if I can't communicate with it? Is there some sort of override I can use to check? Is there a way to possibly add the m32a to the programmer? If so, I'd need some good instruction how to do it.

Thanks for the quick reply

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I've not heard of any problems with the 32A.

Do you have a crystal attached to the target? The factory default condition is to use an internal oscillator at 1MHz. However, if the chip has been previously programmed, that setting may have been changed.

Use a voltmeter to make sure you've got 5V at the 32A's Vcc pin.

Make sure you've got the 6-pin cable wired correctly to the 32A. The pinout is as follows - pin 1 (MISO) is indicated by a white dot on the USBtiny's silkscreen:
icsp.png
icsp.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Also, use the avrdude 'verbose' option -v (lower-case v) to maybe get a clue about what's going on.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”