windows 7 drivers

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grjmmr

windows 7 drivers

Post by grjmmr »

I am attempting to install windows drivers for the Gemma. The problem is the Gemma does not come up as a plug and play device and my computer lists it as a"unknown device". I have attempted to upgrade the driver using the download
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader
but when I upgrade under the device manager the computer doesn't again recognize the Gemma and failes to install the driver. Running "add a device" doesn't work. Can you force the plug and play to kick in or is there a way I can manually put in the windows 7 drivers , so when I hook up the Gemma the computer will recognize it.

I hooked up the Gemma to my work computer and it recognized the Gemma, but I can't use the work computer for this purpose. So the Gemma works.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: windows 7 drivers

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

grjmmr wrote:The problem is the Gemma does not come up as a plug and play device and my computer lists it as a"unknown device".
You're looking in Device Manager? You can manually install the driver by right-clicking on the "unknown device" in Device Manager and selecting 'Update Driver'

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

a that is what I do......right clicking on "unknown device" and trying to update with your drivers does not work.

adafruit_support_rick

What does the wizard do? Does it tell you that the drivers installed? That they couldn't be installed? Is there any sort of error message?

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

After I either update manually using the folder I unzipped from your website or after I let the computer go on line , I get "The best driver software for your device is already installed". Currently it is using Microsoft drivers , driver date 06/21/2006 , driver version 6.1.7601.18328.

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

Furthermore I get this error when I click on the "unknown device" , Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

adafruit_support_rick

Are you letting the wizard pick the driver? You have to tell it that you will pick the driver. Don't let it go online to look, and don't let it try to find it. You have to go through the procedure of browsing for the driver folder:

https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

I pick it myself and point to your folder that I unzipped, it just doesn't recognize the driver

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

Quick question I have been running a usb connection straight from my computer to the gemma, is the reason i am having problems is that i need the USBtinyISP AVR acting as a intermediary between the usb connection and the gemma?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The gemma emulates a usbtinyISP when the led is flashing so you don't need anything else. You could try a different USB 2.0 port, connecting through a powered hub and a different USB cable to rule those out. Also you may need to remove the gemma, go to device manager and remove the usb device related to it and start again not letting windows try to install. Sometimes once windows has installed a device it does not listen when you try ti convince it there was a mistake made.

grjmmr

Post by grjmmr »

The powered USB did the trick. I would think this problem would be something you would want to fix on your end, since I have found several instances in your forums were people have had the same problem.

adafruit_support_rick

Unfortunately, it's not a problem on our end.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”