Linux & arduino Duomilllenova - serial ports menu greyed out

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ocschwar

Linux & arduino Duomilllenova - serial ports menu greyed out

Post by ocschwar »

Hi, all.

I've googled for previous instances of this problem and they all ad other causes:

I've a Linux laptop (Lenovo) running Fedora Core 10. The Arduino plugs into it fine, triggering the creation of /dev/ttyUSB0, lighting the green LED and blinking the orange one, but the arduino GUI (version 16) cannot seem to find /dev/ttyUSB0. The menu for serial ports is greyed out.

On the terminal where I start it, I get these errors:please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.

Even though my account is in the uucp and lock groups.

I've tried editting the preferences.txt file to replace COM1 with /dev/ttyUSB0 but to no avail.

Anyone know what to do? Many thanks.

ocschwar

Re: Linux & arduino Duomilllenova - serial ports menu greyed out

Post by ocschwar »

A reboot solved the problem. Leaving me unable to post a more elaborate report for future reference. Thanks to all who read the question.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”