An error occurred while starting the application

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bhrtrancao

An error occurred while starting the application

Post by bhrtrancao »

Please provide an RMA # for returning the order no: 43605 (Arduino Starter Pack)
I ordered this package on Monday Dec 7, 2009

Reasons of returning:
1. an error occured while starting the application (while run arduino-0017.exe)
2. program is not responding....and freeze (when selecting Tool)
3. error message "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync.....observed the Tx/Rx LED do
not blink...while uploading to board.
4. solder flux was seen at the areas around the USB connector (on the bottom side of
the PCB), which is indicated that the board have been reworked and it could create a potential latent failure like solder joint fracture or crack etc...?
5. solder balls were observed near the FTDI chip (or USB driver chip), which is indicated that the board have been reworked and it could create a potential latent failure like solder joint fracture or crack etc...
I already sent pictures and print screen to [email protected] and they told me to visit here first? prior to process an RMA# for returning!
PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE TRY AND FOLLOW TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDED PER ITEM# 2 & 3 ABOVE
Thanks in advance
Bao Tran

adafruit

Re: An error occurred while starting the application

Post by adafruit »

well, lets start from the beginning. what is the error when you start the arduino software?

bhrtrancao

Post by bhrtrancao »

After double click the Arduino software icon an error occured while starting the application (while run arduino-0017.exe). Click ok to close the error message.

When selecting Tool, program is not responding....and freeze.

Troubleshooting: I disable the Bluetooth

I see no error message, no freeze...(no need to explain all the details of how to select serial port, microcontroller or verify/compile...right?) until I uploading the 1st Example - Digital - Blink.....and the error message were "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync....." and
"avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error....." I observed the Tx/Rx LED light do not blink while uploading?

Troubleshooting:
Reset the Arduino Board, and (ofcourse the Bluetooth was disabled)
Reboot the computer, and
Uploading without connecting the USB cable to Arduino Board

When touch the crystal during uploading I saw the Rx LED light blinking twice but did not see the Tx. However, when pressed on Atmega328 IC both Tx/Rx is blinking and same error message was given after done uploading. After several try of uploading I could not see any blinking of Rx LED or could not duplicated it. Next thing, I inspected the Arduino Board and see solder balls and solder flux...So I am guessing the Board could have been reworked and the fracture or cracks in solder joints is the most likely a suspect....because the intermittent behavior when touch on the crystal or pressed on the IC (Atmega328)

Thanks in advance
Bao Tran

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

this sounds like you have a software or computer problem. touching the crystal may reset it but it sounds like if the arduino software isnt running well you should get that working seamlessly first. if the arduino is fine but the software is dying it will be impossible to use. is there any weird software, drivers or extensions you have that would make java not run well? are you sure your computer is virus free?

note that 'uploading without connecting the usb cable' makes no sense whatsoever. if you dont have the arduino connected to the usb cable its not going to work, period, flux or no flux! :shock:

bhrtrancao

Post by bhrtrancao »

You said: "note that 'uploading without connecting the usb cable' makes no sense whatsoever. if you dont have the arduino connected to the usb cable its not going to work, period, flux or no flux!"

Sir, I follow Arduino - troubleshooting: WHY I CAN'T UPLOAD MY PROGRAMS TO THE ARDUINO BOARD: This is what they've recommented: "Try uploading with nothing connected to the board (apart from the USB cable, of course).

Also, You can trace back by searching for this number CD5542 to find out if the Arduino Board have been reworked or not?. or see flux or no flux....I only asking for an RMA# to returning this order# 43605 then you can see it for yourself and do all the software testing if you want.

Kindly Please. Just give me an RMA# and the address for returning

Thank you so much
Bao Tran

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

no boards are reworked here, they all come from the same factory, you may recall it was wrapped with a sticker placed there by the factory.
we're not convinced this is a purely hardware problem but you can try returning it and we'll check it out. Return the package with your order # as the RMA. if it works fine here we'll return it to you, otherwise you'll get a new arduino
thanks! :)

bhrtrancao

Post by bhrtrancao »

Sir,
I am so sorry.....It's my fault....!
Last night, while writing a reply to you, then I realize that, I used a defective USB cable (my USB cable). Every things is working now. I am really really sorry....
Thank you so much and,
Happy Holidays.
Bao Tran

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey thats great! saved you some postage and waiting :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”