(ports) Help..! Defective or problematic Duemilanove

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bcook65

(ports) Help..! Defective or problematic Duemilanove

Post by bcook65 »

Hello,
Just recently recieved my arduino (budget pack).
Downloaded the software/driver (arduino 0018). Directions were not real clear so I am assuming this is the correct file.
Followed the online tutorial with the install and setup.
Connected the usb and power cable (again directions were not clear, did not say anything about connection of power so I assumed it had to be plugged in)
Launched Software
Set Board
Set port to com3
opened the blink file to the sketch board
verify/compiled it
And uploaded it to the board
Got this message

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Spent a whole day going thru the trouble shooting routine and still end up with the same error. The trouble shooting never actually talk about the Duemilanove, so I have to assume the boards are close enough to be similar. The section seems assume you have one of the other boards (NG, etc) and assumes that the resolution works, there is no further options if it does not other than to contact support.

I have also tried swapping usb cables and ports with no change in results. I know the ports are good because I have a propeller chip and a basic stamp two and other usb devices that work just fine on any or all usb ports

When the board is connected,there is a green led on and one yellow blinking led. TX and RX never light up.

Solder connections look good as far as I can see with a 10x loupe

there are six bare pins at one end of board, not sure what those are for, but to me they look like jumper pins

There is another post that shows the same problems and steps that I have tried, so I would assume the issue to be with the board itself.

adafruit

Re: Help..! Defective or problematic Duemilanove

Post by adafruit »

hi bcook,

our first suggestion - it appears you have something that is not configured properly. please post a photo / image of your device manager of your com ports - it sounds like you do not have the right com port.

that said, we are a little concerned by your customer service email where you say...
bcook65 wrote:Also I noticed there was no power supply and no battery connector..The ad says it comes complete and ready to use out of the box or something to that effect. I happened to have a 9vdc wall pack.
the "ad" does not say that for the budget pack, but then you say in your post...
bcook65 wrote: so I assumed it had to be plugged in...
you could have damaged it, that's very possible if it's the wrong adapter, or a damage adapter, that's impossible for us to know of course. the location of the drivers and the files and how to power the arduino are in the tutorial and we've never had any feedback that it was unclear, which tutorial are you looking at? in your customer support note to us you has said that you thought the arduino budget pack "ad" said it came with a power supply - it does not. our reply had the link and the detailed list of what was included from the page you ordered it from). we think you mixed up budget pack / starter pack.

-adafruit

bcook65

Post by bcook65 »

Sorry I misread the ad.. it said something like ready to go or something.. I assumed it was ready to go out of the box as I dont recall anything saying I needed anything else.. My bad.

Ok.. it is not letting me upload a picture.. it is sized at 37kb.. so for now I just type in the port data

Com ports after Arduino software/driver install

Com port (com 1)
toshiba bt port (com 10)
toshiba bt port (com 12)
toshiba bt port (com 13)
toshiba bt port (com 14)
toshiba bt port (com 20)
toshiba bt port (com 21)
toshiba bt port (com 6)
toshiba bt port (com 7)

As to the power supply, it is what was recommended a 9vdc center positive, and it was a new unused wall pack I had in my box. I believe on the tutorial it was listed as optional but could be bought online or at a local electronics retailer etc.. something like that. As to my assumption that it needed to be plugged in, I have a attiny and a BS2 microcontrollers and they both have to be powered prior to plugging in or programming. Seemed logical .. running the first program i do not recall seeing anything about supplying power to the arduino. It seemed odd, so I assumed it was left out of the instructions, at least for that sketch.. So I used my adapter to supply power after numerous attempts without it. I assumed that may have been part ofthe problem. I will have to go back and re read that section. I don go haphazardly pluggin in things that arent compatable. I just based my assumptions on my previous two microcontrollers.

I apologize for any confusion. But i spent all day trying to make sure I had the right drivers and software and trouble shooting. After 6-7 hours of frustration, I could have easily misread something. i dont know.

Any way.. hope the list above helps

The tutorials I got from the box the arduino shipped in, http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino.

Bill

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi bcook,
bcook65 wrote: Com ports after Arduino software/driver install
Com port (com 1)
toshiba bt port (com 10)
toshiba bt port (com 12)
toshiba bt port (com 13)
toshiba bt port (com 14)
toshiba bt port (com 20)
toshiba bt port (com 21)
toshiba bt port (com 6)
toshiba bt port (com 7)
wow! we had a laptop like that once that had all sorts of crazy ports each time bluetooth was used. it appears that you did not actually install the FTDI drivers, it also appears that some weird software (toshiba BT, bluetooth?) is making a ton of com ports - this also might be causing a problem.we suggest installing the FTDI drivers (the tutorial has a link to them) and reviewing the many com ports you have, when the drivers are installed and your system is working properly you'll see "USB serial", etc (this is in the tutorial as well). if you do not see that you will not be able to communicate with any USB to serial devices.

as far as the power supply question/comment goes, the budget pack comes with a USB cable and that's all you need to power/program it - it's definitely good to go out of the box and we say that on the product page. we don't have an "ads" so we think you may have seen something somewhere else?

hope this helps - good luck with the ports, laptop BT / ports can be problematic!

cheers,
adafruit

bcook65

Re: (ports) Help..! Defective or problematic Duemilanove

Post by bcook65 »

hehe.. funny.. my laptop is a Dell.. I havent used my bluetooth on this thing yet, so its strange that all the com ports show as toshiba
Must have some gremlins round here

bcook65

Post by bcook65 »

Ok.. I have uninstalled all the toshiba bt ports.. re installed the FtDI drivers again.. it re install ed all the toshiba drivers.. My blue tooth is off and has not yet been used on this laptop.
I uninstalled all the toshiba ports again and reinstalled the ftdi drivers.
this time it showed to have installed a com 4.. Com 3 was taken buy my usb mouse. I set the board to com 4 and it looks like it might now be working.
Should I leave it at com 4? or does it have to be com 3?

Thanks
Bill

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

bcook65 wrote:Ok.. I have uninstalled all the toshiba bt ports.. re installed the FtDI drivers again.. it re install ed all the toshiba drivers.. My blue tooth is off and has not yet been used on this laptop. I uninstalled all the toshiba ports again and reinstalled the ftdi drivers.
this time it showed to have installed a com 4.. Com 3 was taken buy my usb mouse. I set the board to com 4 and it looks like it might now be working. Should I leave it at com 4? or does it have to be com 3?
hi bill,

it shouldn't matter what port, just as long as you see USB to serial is installed and working - it sounds like you have a messy port situation - in the past when we've tinkered with laptops it was a lot of trial and error, you might need to enable and disable ports, reboot, start up the arduino IDE, see if it sees the ports etc.

cheers,
adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”