Arduino external power source voltage

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pyta101

Arduino external power source voltage

Post by pyta101 »

Hi,
I have just got myself an arduino budget pack and hence didn't get a power adapter (conscious decision as I am in Australia and wanted to get a local one.) I was wondering what the accepted voltages for the board through the DC pin are. Is it a range like 5v - 9v or is it a set 9v?

Cheers

tronixstuff

Re: Arduino external power source voltage

Post by tronixstuff »

Hello from Brisbane
7~12 volts DC is fine, 2.1mm positive tip.
Have fun with Arduino!

pyta101

Post by pyta101 »

Thanks for the help!
A trip to jaycar is in order.

And hello from Tas :)

pyta101

Post by pyta101 »

Just a quick question is someone can answer me.
I bought a 9v 800mA max regulated power adaptor but whenever I hook it up the arduino gets power but what I assume is the power regulator gets burning hot within seconds and I am not too keen to leave it running like that. Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with the adaptor or arduino board?

Cheers

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Could be a short somewhere. What else is connected to your Arduino?

tronixstuff

Post by tronixstuff »

pyta101 wrote:Just a quick question is someone can answer me.
I bought a 9v 800mA max regulated power adaptor but whenever I hook it up the arduino gets power but what I assume is the power regulator gets burning hot within seconds and I am not too keen to leave it running like that. Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with the adaptor or arduino board?
Cheers
Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the polarity and voltage at the end of the DC plug. You want centre-positive.
Is it from Jaycar? What's the catalogue number?

pyta101

Post by pyta101 »

It had an breadboarded LCD attatched to it, so it could have been a short. Could it have been the led backlight drawing too much current? I dont have a datasheet for the lcd. How much current can the 5v line of the arduino put out?

I have had the arduino plugged into the adaptor for about 10 mins now and it hasnt got hot so at least its nothing wrong with the board?

Cheers

pyta101

Post by pyta101 »

tronixstuff wrote:Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the polarity and voltage at the end of the DC plug. You want centre-positive.
I went with one from DSE, just cause it was a nice and compact plugpack. It has interchangable tips and it is set to the centre positive orientation.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/M9933

Cheers

tronixstuff

Post by tronixstuff »

pyta101 wrote:
tronixstuff wrote:Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the polarity and voltage at the end of the DC plug. You want centre-positive.
I went with one from DSE, just cause it was a nice and compact plugpack. It has interchangable tips and it is set to the centre positive orientation.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/M9933
Cheers
Crud. Most likely a dud plugpack. Take the arduino in with you when you change it over and try it before you leave.
j

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The 5v line should be able to supply more than enough to backlight an LCD. It depends somewhat on the source voltage, but with a 9v source I think it will supply 500 mA or so.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”