No power when connected to USB

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ldouble_e

No power when connected to USB

Post by ldouble_e »

I purchased a half-size breadboard and an Arduino starter pack.
It arrived today and all was fine except for a dead Arduino board. If I plug it into
the wall it powers up and does all the blinking etc. When I plug it into my
computer via USB I get nothing (no blinking lights and no computer response).
I tried connecting to Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS..nothing
I tried a different cable..nothing
I tried every usb port on my computer..nothing
I tried Windows 7..nothing
I repeated the cable and usb port swapping..nothing
I tried a different computer..nothing
The wall outlet to Arduino works, but USB side is dead.

Most of my troubleshooting was in Ubuntu as that is where I will use Arduino the most. I added the repository, deleted "brltty" and check for, and confirmed FTDI install (I thought it was my computer not seeing the USB connection at first). I have the current avr-gcc and avr-libc versions installed. I also have sun-java6-jre installed. I also added myself to the dialout group.

I tried to get a connection on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Windows 7 on one computer and Windows 7 on a different computer.

The computer is a home build.
Intel E8400 dual core 3.0GHz CPU
4GB Ram
Asus P5Q Mobo
Nvidia 9600 GT GPU
1000Watt Thermaltake 80+ bronze PSU
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Windows 7 OS's

adafruit_support_bill

Re: No power when connected to USB

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Do you get 5v between pins 1 and 4 on the USB? Does the usb port work with other devices?

If all that checks out, it sounds like the power source selection circuit on your arduino is not working properly. You should contact Adafruit Support for a replacement.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Interesting! Yes please see if you can power anything else (its a good thing to try) If not, this is the first time we've seen a failure on the auto-switching circuitry - Please contact support@adafruit with a link to this thread and request a new Arduino and a return envelope so we can send this one back to the factory for analysis :)
Thanks!

ldouble_e

Post by ldouble_e »

First of all, thanks for your help. Ok I tried (for the sake of arguement) a portable HDD enclosure which uses the same serial to usb connection. It worked with both cables (the one that came with the kit and the one I already owned).
I checked for power on the card. The only place I could find any power (5VDC) was by flipping the card over and checking the four soldered pins below the serial adapter. This tells me the computers usb is fine and sending power to the card, but it goes no further. I am going to attach this to a customer support e-mail as requested. Thanks again for your help.

ldouble_e

Post by ldouble_e »

I received the replacement Arduino in the mail today. Hooked it up to the USB and it fired right up. Tried the wall plug and I also got good indications. This will confirm that the other board is faulty. It is in the mail. Thanks for the support and excellent customer service.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Thanks! We have also alerted the Arduino manufacturing team about this and will analyze the defective one so that it wont happen again :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”