Pin 13 LED wont stop Flashing

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
patthecat

Pin 13 LED wont stop Flashing

Post by patthecat »

Hi,
I just received my Arduino starter kit and want to get started.
The only problem I am having is that the LED on pin 13 wont stop flashing!
I went through the tutorials and installed all the drivers and software needed, and I simply plugged it in my Mac via USB and it will not stop blinking.
I googled it and some people had received defective boards... What could be the cause of this and will I need to get a new board?
Thanks!
Pat

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Pin 13 LED wont stop Flashing

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is the flashing pattern? Does it change at all when you connect the USB? Have you tried actually downloading a sketch to it?

When you power on the board, it will run whatever program is on it. When you connect it to the USB, it should reset the board, then go back to running the same program. The last Arduino I bought had a a program on it which did a series of 3 flashes, then a pause. Is that what you are seeing? I had no problem loading my own sketch ove that.

patthecat

Post by patthecat »

thanks for the fast reply,
The led starts consistently flashing at the same rate as soon as I plug it in the usb.
I did try to run a sketch and the sketch works, but as soon as I stop the sketch it keep flashing at the same rate as before again.
Is there maybe a way to wipe clear the arduino so I can start fresh?
Also when I hit the RESET button on the arduino board the light stops flashing for about 2 seconds and starts again..

Thanks
Pat

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What do you mean by "stop the sketch"? The program memory is non-volatile. It doesn't get cleared on power down or reset. The Arduino will automatically come up running whatever was the last thing downloaded to it. If you plug in a USB cable, or press the reset button, it will reset the Arduino, but then start running the same program.

patthecat

Post by patthecat »

Sorry I am new to microcontrollers and arduino and I am still learning.
So you were right, I went about doing the tutorials and everything is working fine, the manufacturer must have simply put in a blinking light sketch.
Thanks again for the fast reply!

Pat

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”