Arduino not recognized fails to connect

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
manaughl

Arduino not recognized fails to connect

Post by manaughl »

When I first got my Arduino UNO, I plugged it into my machine, running Windows 7 64-bit.
The laptop did not recognize the Uno as a device being connected. I had to disconnect and reconnect a few times then it worked for about ten minutes, but then Windows 7 stopped recognizing it. I restarted my computer a few times, but this didn't fix my problem. So I decided to try it out on my Windows xp 32-bit machine.

I installed the UNO driver in Device Manager, and it never worked and windows xp still has not been able to recognize that a new device is attached. Then, I tried another Windows 7 (32 bit this time) machine. I tried to install the drivers in Device Manager, but the Arduino did not appear.

On rare occassions the device will appear on the Windows 7 64bit machine and I can upload code from the IDE. So I have been uploading code when ever it is recognized and disconnecting the device. Just example code for now. As long as I do not leave it connected it usually will reconnect. I just got the uno a few days ago and it has been acting this way from the beginning. I would like to be able to eventually write output to the monitor but will not be able to do this is the connection fails randomly. It seems as though there is a hardware issue with the Arduino because i have no issues with any of the computers' usb connections with any other devices.

I am able to upload sketches to it for about 10 or 15 minutes, and the Arduino IDE stops giving its serial port (COM3 on Windows) as an option. The Arduino is still receiving power from the computer.

Primarily I connect the usb cable to the computer and Uno the computers do not recognize the usb device. In fact 95% of the time it is as though i have connected nothing because the computers do not see the device
The reason I thing the Uno may have and issue is that it does this on 4 different machines. I cannot upload code or select a com because the software will connect only to a device recognized as being installed.

I have changed cables, as well as connecting to several macines. What do you suggest I try to resolve this problem of both the connection dropping and the connecting not ever being established?
Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino not recognized fails to connect

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you tried using a different usb cable?

manaughl

Post by manaughl »

Have you tried using a different usb cable?
Yes is did, and that did not solve the problem. At first the windows 7 64bit pc recognized the usb connection then it disonnected. I followed this by reusing the original cable and it connected for 15 minutes and then disconnected.
And would not reconnect until the following day after many manyh attemps.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Usually, intermittant connectivity is a sign of a bad cable. I have also seen it caused by a bad socket, but it sounds like you have tried several different sockets on several computers.

manaughl

Post by manaughl »

Yes, I have used 3 different usb cables. I have also connected these cables to several different usb ports on several different machines. I always see the power light so I don't think it is a cable problem, or a usb port problem with the different compters.

chuckm

Post by chuckm »

You may find that the socket which is soldered to the Uno is the problem. Look to see if there are any cold solder joints around the data pins for the USB port.

I had a problem with symptoms like this once where the board had picked up a very small 'snipped' wire which was shorting out one of the data pins. It was pretty obvious when I looked at it and I cleared that out and the problems went away.

--Chuck

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

manaughl, if none of the suggestions work - we'll just send out another arduino with a postage paid envelope - if the new one works great, if it does not it's something on your systems.

sound like a plan?

manaughl

Post by manaughl »

Yes that works

lina944

Post by lina944 »

I am having the same issue...After much struggle I got the Duemilanove to work one time, and the code was uploaded and working on the board. All of a sudden, when i tried to update the code, the computer stopped recognizing the board and it actually produced the noise that occurs when you connect/disconnect something from USB. Like the original poster, I have tried 3 different cables and multiple different computers/ports. Power light stays on but that's it...not sure what could be causing this?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Where did you buy your Duemilanove?

Red2

Post by Red2 »

I am having problem similar to Dr. Rick 12-10-12 12:51 am

Windows XP

arduino UNO R3, from starter pack PID:68; purchaed from adafruit, invoice #215313

TX/RX never flash
L flashes fast a few times on startup
Green "ON" is constant on

Tried two USB ports, tried two cables, tried on another computer

Pluged in and out quite a number of times (lights flash on board always the same as above)

Device Manager shows: Type = other
Manufacture = unknown
Location - 0 (USB device)
Status drivers not installed

When I run Hardware Update Wizard following tutorial:
No, not at this time
Install from list or specific location
Search for the best driver in these locations:
Include this location in the search
Browse

Arduino does not show on list, or expanded lists

I'm new at this and open to suggestions as to what else to try.

Thanks

Dave

JD3

Post by JD3 »

Go to device manager and right click on the device, and select install driver.
Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".

When you browse for the drivers, they are located in the Arduino IDE directory.

I installed the Arduino library on drive C: to make it easier.
I then looked for "C:\arduino-1.0.1\drivers" for the driver path.

Look to see where the main Arduino program installed, maybe in program files?

Here is the link on installation from the Arduino website:
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows

Red2

Post by Red2 »

Thank You, Thank you, thank you.

Got the drivers downloaded and installed, computer not recognizes the arduino.

Tomorrow I'll start to play with it and learn.

Also changed over to my laptop with windows 7

Thanks again.

tomq

Post by tomq »

Hi and thanks to everyone in advance.
I just got a Uno R3 and installed the USB driver on my XP laptop. I downloaded the blinking LED program into the Arduino and it works. Then I tried increasing the blinking frequency to 10x by modifying the C code and recompiling. Nothing changes. It blinks at the original rate of 1 sec per pulse.
I suspect the programmer is no longer communicating, so I pull the USB cable and re-plugged it. It says I have an unknown USB device. I tried re-installing the USB driver for the Arduino but I ended up at a dead end when the laptops tells me that the best driver is already installed.

I tried another laptop, a Windows7. It says I have a USB device that has malfunctioned. The "Arduino" that shows up in the Device Manager is not there. Instead, I get Unknown device.

On my XP, "Arduino" did show up initially, but now I get Unknown Device.

Do I have a bad board?

tomq

Post by tomq »

I forgot to include this information. The blinking LED circuit still operates. Did the boards come pre-programmed with this out of the box? Why would the USB go bad if it was already working?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”