Arduino not recognized fails to connect

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino not recognized fails to connect

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

the laptops tells me that the best driver is already installed.
Try un-installing the existing driver before re-installing from the Arduino Drivers folder. I believe XP has an option on that dialog to delete the driver files when uninstalling. If so, check that box to delete the drivers. That way it won't automatically re-install the wrong ones (if that is the problem).

UNOs used to come pre-programmed with the blink program. I think that is still the case.

tomq

Post by tomq »

In Device Manager, I uninstalled and then updated the Driver on the USB Unknown Device with the Arduino/Driver/FTDI USB DRiVER folder. Same results, I get a message saying the best driver is already installed.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I believe the Uno comes with a blink program pre-installed.
If your Uno shows up as "Unknown", that may mean that the driver is not installed correctly. If you go into Device Manager, you can "Uninstall" the driver. This will allow you to install it again.

Your problem may also be a bad USB cable. Please try another one.

If none of that works, then you may have a bad Uno. If so, Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

tomq

Post by tomq »

Problem solved. In my case, it was the USB cable that came with the Arduino Uno Rev3 Ultimate Starter Kit +LCD Module that I bought through Amazon. The kit came with this 5 feet cable. I bought a another Arduino (clone) from eBay and this came with a 1.5 feet cable. Both the Arduinos (authentic and clone) are recognized by my laptop if I use the 1.5 feet USB cable. If I switch to the longer 5 feet cable, both Arduinos are not recognized by the laptop.

Yes, I can now change the blinking frequency and download it to the Arduino and see the blinking speed up.

tomq

Post by tomq »

For the above comment, I want to make it clear I am referring to the Vilros Ultimate Starter Kit ($65 at Amazon), not the official starter kit.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Thanks for the update!

FlyingDust777

Post by FlyingDust777 »

A lot of arduino clones come with the blink program preloaded. My computer did not recognize the arduino as a device when plugged in, but did acknowledge that there was some USB device plugged in by making a sound when plugging in or taking out the USB cable. You can fix this problem by going to the Device Manager in the control panel (search for Hardware in the search box) and look for the arduino in the list that appears. Right click on that and install the driver by going to the arduino program files (that you should download from the arduino website) and selecting the driver folder. Your computer and arduino program should now recognize that the arduino is plugged in and you should be able to choose a serial port.

tomq

Post by tomq »

I am the original poster. This problem had nothing to do with the drivers. The USB cable provided in the kit doesn't work. When different USB cables are used, the Arduino works perfectly.

2014sideline

Post by 2014sideline »

Hi,

I got similar problems with the Arduino UNO 3 in Windows 7 64 bit so I reinstalled the drivers but the problem with the USB disconnections was remained the same but some times unrecognized by Arduino IDE though it's connected and displayed in device manager as COM6, the problem remained there though.
However, after some investigations I found a solution that's at least worked for me namely in device manager right click on COM6 and select disable from the menu and then right click again on COM6 and select enable. This is helped to detect the Arduino board on the Arduino IDE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”