arduino ide 1.0 compile error

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
notbob

arduino ide 1.0 compile error

Post by notbob »

I'm running Slackware 13.37, have installed all Arduino pkgs and support libs, have set up uno r3 w/ half bboard on holder. Plugging in the board via usb shows proper operation, a couple org blinks and steady grn led, hardware looking good.

I chose uno board in ide, brought up blink sketch, and compiled. I get this error:

/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/avr5/libm.a when searching
for -lm
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/libm.a when searching for
-lm
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm

Slocate shows all these file do, in fact, exist and in the indicated locations (directories). I changed permissions on both libm.a and libm.s to 777. The ld file is already 755. I retried compile. No joy. Seems I installed a bash script so user permissions would be allowed. I'm now searching for it to see if I actually installed it. I'm having a senior moment and it may take awhile to recall when and where. ;)

Blink shows it to be an .ino file, as per new 1.0 specs. One slackware file I read said the uno only works with ver 0022. ????

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

nb

adafruit_support_bill

Re: arduino ide 1.0 compile error

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One slackware file I read said the uno only works with ver 0022.
Could be a slackware only issue. The UNO works fine with 1.0 on every other system I know of.
From the error messages, it looks more like a problem with the IDE install.

notbob

SOLVED Re: arduino ide 1.0 compile error

Post by notbob »

I (with MAJOR help) got it working in Slackware 13.37 32-bit. Actually, not me, but I notified Vito Magnamimo of http://www.slacky.eu/ of the problems I was having and he provided a new rebuild of the avr-libc-1.71 pkg, which solved my problem.

Turns out the entire Linux Arduino issue is a bit of a mess everyone claiming different versions of the avr support libs being THE one's to use. Go down to 2.20 for binutils, don't use anything over 4.5 for gcc, Ubuntu 022 not compatible with Teensy, etc. Heck, I can't even remember all the ins and outs. Not a happy consensus, anywhere. BTW, I don't know what all the Linux distros Adafruit is using, but I still haven't gotten it to see my board on Ubuntu 11.10. I think it a USB vs serial port issue. But it certainly isn't a "it just works" situation.

Regardless, if you are using Slackware 13.37 32-bit, simply loading these package from Slacky in this order:

avr-binutils-2.20.1-i486-2sl
avr-gcc-4.3.3-i486-2sl
avr-libc-1.7.1-i486-3sl
avrdude-5.11.1-i486-1sl
arduino-1.0-i486-2sl

....(note the up/down revs!) and you should be a happy camper, at least for compiling w/ no errors. I've not tried connection to board yet. <fingers crossed>

nb

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”