Computer no longer detecting Arduino Uno.

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
akadouri

Computer no longer detecting Arduino Uno.

Post by akadouri »

I have an Arduino Uno that I purchased from http://www.adafruit.com/products/193/.
I got it 3 days ago and have been experimenting since then. Recently I went to try plug it into the computer and try something and my computer won't detect the Arudino. I tried a different usb cable, different ports, and a different computer. Also this region http://i40.tinypic.com/2vmsto8.jpg seems to get hot whenever I connect the board to a power source (either USB or 9V plug). The green light still turns on when I connect it, and the other built in LED turns on. The last program I was using had 12 and 13 on HIGH and they are still like that. Any ideas on how I could fix it/if I destroyed it?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Computer no longer detecting Arduino Uno.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you be more specific about which component is getting hot? The small chip in the center of the area you indicate (marked LPFL) is the 3.3v regulator. Does it heat up with no other connections to the board?

akadouri

Post by akadouri »

The only thing connected to the board is the USB cable. To be more specific the black thing in the middle of the circle is what is getting hot. http://i43.tinypic.com/1zzhp2r.jpg

akadouri

Post by akadouri »

I also tried removing the ATMEGA328. It still gets hot.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds you have something pulling too much current from the 3.3v regulator. If there is nothing connected to the 3.3v pin, then it must be something on the board itself. You can examine the board carefully for any stray wires or solder spatter.

akadouri

Post by akadouri »

I don't see anything stray, no wires are connected, I tried putting a wire in 3.3v and seeing if something was stuck. Looked fine, still gets hot. Should I submit for an exchange or did I cause this?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

during your experimentation, what were you doing? it sounds like you may have put 5V or 9V into the 3.3V pin

akadouri

Post by akadouri »

I may have when I was connecting an old RC car's wheels, instead of plugging it from 3.3 to ground. I didn't realize the Arduino was that delicate. I guess I'll have to buy another one. I knew once I smelled the burning I killed it.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

this individual deserves a blue smoke badge. an arduino is a difficult beast to put down.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”