programmer is not responding

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pshore

programmer is not responding

Post by pshore »

I have not used the Arduino for a couple of years and now I have a student that I gave my starter pack to but she could not get the sketch to upload. I plug it into my computer and I have power. I have the correct board assigned and serial port assigned to /dev/tty.bluetooth-PDA-Sync. Even if I change the port I get the same error message "programmer not responding". When I try to upload I do not get the TX/RX lights blinking. When I reset I get the LED to blink so the boot loader is ok from what I understand. I am on a Mac mini running OSX 10.6
Any suggestions?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: programmer is not responding

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

/dev/tty.bluetooth-PDA-Sync is NOT the correct port. That is a default Mac device.

The Arduino will show up as /dev/tty.usbmodemnn, where the nn will be some string of digits

pshore

Post by pshore »

I went to the terminal and entered both the tty and cu info and still come up with the bluetooth-modem or bluetooth-PDA-sync. When I use the modem, either one, it tells me it is in use. not sure how to change that.

adafruit_support_rick

Plug in the Arduino. Go into the Apple menu, pick About This Mac, then pick More Info, then pick System Report. In the Hardware list in the left pane, pick USB.

You should see the arduino in the list of USB devices. If you're not sure which one it is, unplug it and refresh the list. It will be the one that disappeared.

If it doesn't show up at all, try a different USB port and/or cable.

pshore

Post by pshore »

Ok. I found it.
FT232R USB UART:
How do I get this to show up in the serial port list?

adafruit_support_rick

Ah, this is an antique. What flavor of Arduino have you got? The newer ones don't need Mac drivers, but for the older ones you need to instal the FTDI driver, available here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

pshore

Post by pshore »

Duemilanove with a Atmega 328
Probably got it in 2009 but the drivers solved the problem.
Thanks! Guess its time for an upgrade.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”