trouble with driver?

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thoracle

trouble with driver?

Post by thoracle »

I just received starter pk with uno R3. i have win xp. I then downloaded
arduino-1.0.1-windows.
I followed install directions as closely as possible but think I did something wrong. In device mgr under ports it says Arduino Uno R3 (COM4). When I go to open app it loads so far then shuts down. What am i missing or doing wrong? Please help, this is all new to me. Thanx

adafruit_support_bill

Re: trouble with driver?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

In device mgr under ports it says Arduino Uno R3 (COM4).
That much sounds good. I believe you have the driver loaded correctly.
When I go to open app it loads so far then shuts down.
Do you mean the Arduino IDE? Is there any error message of any kind? If you post the error text or a screen-shot it might give us a clue.

thoracle

Post by thoracle »

When I go to arduino folder to open app I click on the teal circle w/infinity sign,security window opens asking to run and loading goes so
far as the teal opening page, then i hear that ominous windows sound that says your done dealing
and then loading stops abruptly. there is no error message or anything else.

adafruit_support_bill

security window opens asking to run
On XP? You must have some other 3rd party security package installed. It is possible that is blocking something.

What is the contents of the security window? Most security packages keep some kind of log.

thoracle

Post by thoracle »

It simply says "Open file- security warning"
Pubisher cannot be verified. Are You sure you want to run this software?

Name Arduino exe.
Publisher: Unknown Pub.
Type: application
Run Cancel
File does not have valid digital signature etc. thats it. It doesnt identify any thing else. where else canI look to determine which security pk i have installed. any other options i jcan check on?

adafruit_support_bill

It could be just XP's security settings set to a very high level. It has been a while since I worked on an XP system. If you can open you security settings in the control panel you might be able to lower the defense slightly.

Also in the control panel (I think under Administrative Tools) there is the system event log. You might check that for any warnings or errors logged at about the time you try to run the IDE>

thoracle

Post by thoracle »

I don't see any way to lower security settings. In the event log I can see several places where i had an app hang but don't know what applies to what. Should I switch to my win 7 laptop? would that be easier?

adafruit_support_bill

As I said, it's been a while since I worked on an XP system and I don't remember enough to tell you specifically what to look for & click on.

If you do have a Win7 machine handy, it would be simpler to work through any problems if they arise.

thoracle

Post by thoracle »

ThanX so much for your patience. I will change computers and start again in windows 7 over the weekend.

JD3

Post by JD3 »

Go to my computer or windows explorer
select your hard drive and then right click on the arduino main file
click on properties

on the general tab make sure read only attribute is not selected.
Also look on the sharing tab, make sure "make this folder private" is not selected.

Do the same thing w/ the arduino file in My Documents.

Also try making a new shortcut on your desktop and again make sure read only is not selected.

If you have anti virus software make sure you add the arduino application to the exceptions list.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”