Starter Kit Votages and a Arduino Due

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
midel

Starter Kit Votages and a Arduino Due

Post by midel »

Hello there!
Recently I have purchased the ARDX starter kit and a Arduino Due and I must say I couldn't have been happier with the quality and quick delivery of my purchase. Already I had much fun with the tutorials and look forward to purchasing more equipment and materials for future products.

The question I have had at the moment is while many of the tutorials such as LEDs and shift registers, as well as the analog variable resistor have worked perfectly, I am wary of performing the Motor and the other tutorials with the photosensor as well as the force sensor, for fear the improper voltage will damage my new expensive board.

For anyone not sure what I am talking about:
The Arduino Due digital pins are all rated at 3.3v and going over this will result in damage to the processor. Meanwhile the Arduino Uno which comes with the kit is 5v, which is all fine and good, but I would like to become more familiar with using my Arduino Due. Is it possible to run the 5v motors on the lower 3.3v and have them work properly? Is there any chance of the motor creating a undesirable voltage to my Arduino Due?

If anyone could provide me with a solution above the typical "don't use the X or Y with your Arduino Due" it would be most appreciated. If anything I would rather be pointed to a product that could allow me to use 5v equipment on the Due if the absolutely cannot run on anything less (which the shift register, photo-sensor, leds, and variable transistors all have no problem in doing).

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Starter Kit Votages and a Arduino Due

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The servo and DC motor should not be a problem because your control signals are still 3.3v. There is no 5v signal coming back into the Due.

In the case of the force sensor, you need to wire it up using 3.3v as the voltage reference instead of 5v. This will limit the output of the sensor to 3.3v and avoid damage to your analog input pins.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”