Arduino Uno possible issue

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cgray9

Arduino Uno possible issue

Post by cgray9 »

I just got my arduino uno starter kit in and was following the book, and it seems like the pins 5,6, and 7 wont hardly light up an LED, I checked the voltages coming out and they are about 5V but the currents are nearly non existent. I know the circuit i set up works because when all i do is change the power wire to pin 3 or 4 the LED shines nice and bright. Is this supposed to be like this or is there something wrong with the board?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino Uno possible issue

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Be sure to set the pinMode to OUTPUT. Otherwise it will default to INPUT. When in INPUT mode, a digitalWrite HIGH just enables the internal pullup resistor and it will not source significant current.
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/pinMode

cgray9

Post by cgray9 »

I did make sure that they were on HIGH, when it's on HIGH it is only outputting about 0.2mA instead of the 13mA the working pins are outputting, also the voltage is only about 4.6V on the pins that aren't working while the voltage from the working ones is reading about 4.96V.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I did make sure that they were on HIGH
But did you make sure they were in OUTPUT mode? You need to call pinMode to set the pin mode to OUTPUT.
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/pinMode

cgray9

Post by cgray9 »

It was the output issue, when I read the reply early this morning I was thinking it was the HIGH or LOW, and i just kinda assumed since i was getting some voltage and current it was set as output. Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”