Arduino will not talk to the computer

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
iwo_gewo

Arduino will not talk to the computer

Post by iwo_gewo »

I just opened my starter pack today.
I downloaded the Windows (I'm running Windows 7 64-bit) installer from arduino.cc (version 1.05). It ran with no complaints. It even installed the driver.
I hooked up the Arduino and the power and L1 LEDs came on and stayed on. I uploaded the blink example as per the Getting Started page on arduino.cc. I selected Arduino Uno from the boards dropdown and port 3 from the serial port drop down (The port assigned to it by Qindows). I left the programmer as AVRISP mk][. I clicked upload and eventually the Rx LED flashed three times. Then, it gave me the following error:

Code: Select all

Using Port                    : \\.\COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.
I tried Upload Using Programmer. No LEDs flashed and I got this error:

Code: Select all

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
The reset button on the Arduino board has no apparent effect.
I tried the BareMinimum example sketch, and got the same errors. I tried changing out the USB cable, but that didn't help at all. I tried every USB port on the computer, then started all over on a different computer. No change. I uninstalled and re-installed and Windows assigned it port 4, but nothing else changed. Finally, I uninstalled, downloaded the zip file instead of the installer, and followed the installation instructions for that. Now, the Arduino is on port 5 and Windows still thinks it's working correctly but I get the same errors when I upload.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Arduino will not talk to the computer

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sometimes, the UNOs ship with a faulty bootloader. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Uno.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”