Tiny insignificant error in Tutrial 3

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
avion

Tiny insignificant error in Tutrial 3

Post by avion »

In the section titled "Scheming schematic" it explains that the LED 's positive pin is connected to the 5V and the negative pin connected to the resistor. In the schematic and the picture the resistor is connected to the positive pin. I know it does not matter since it works both ways, but it may confuse people.

BANNED

ih8gates

confused about resistors

Post by ih8gates »

so, yeah... this did confuse me a bit. my understanding is that the resistor needs to be between the LED and power - is that correct? or does it just need to be in series somewhere?

avion

Post by avion »

It will work either way since it will limit the current going through the LED as long as it is in series with it.

ih8gates

Post by ih8gates »

thanks... that tutorial draws comparisons between current and water - a resistor restricting the 'flow' - and I guess I got caught up taking the metaphor too far, thinking that the flow needed to be diminished before it hit the LED.

MattieShoes

Re: Tiny insignificant error in Tutrial 3

Post by MattieShoes »

I think the water analogy works regardless of where the resistor is too... :-)
If you've got a sewer pipe (wire) that shrinks down to a garden hose (resistor), then opens back up to a sewer pipe on the other side (wire)... The current is going to be the same everywhere.
The water pressure (voltage) will change from one side to the other but the current would be identical.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”