No /dev/ttyUSB0

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tim.bounceback

No /dev/ttyUSB0

Post by tim.bounceback »

so I just got my arduino starter pack in the mail today, and I naturally hooked it up to my ubuntu 8.04 computer (after install the arduino software, removing brltty, ensuring the green light went on etc.). but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be recognized (the serial ports option in the arduino software is grayed out, indicating that none are available) - I did a quick

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail
and a

Code: Select all

lsusb
but couldn't find anything, and /dev/ttyUSB0 doesn't exist either - any ideas? Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

does dmesg have -anything- appear when you plug it in?

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

ladyada wrote:does dmesg have -anything- appear when you plug it in?
no, nothing at all...

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

Hmm, it looks like my Arduino might be defective... two pins (third and fourth from the right) on the FTDI chip seem to be bridged - I think that's the problem, as I've tried everything else, including different cords. I'll post a picture in a minute.
EDIT: Here's a picture:

lou

Post by lou »

tim.bounceback wrote:two pins (third and fourth from the right) on the FTDI chip seem to be bridged
From the photo, those two pins appear to go to the same PCB trace. As such, bridging between them is inconsequential.

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

lou wrote:
tim.bounceback wrote:two pins (third and fourth from the right) on the FTDI chip seem to be bridged
From the photo, those two pins appear to go to the same PCB trace. As such, bridging between them is inconsequential.
You're right; I just checked the pinout myself and they both go to ground. I'm going to try to use it on Windows and see if it works there.

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

OK, just tried it on Windows and it's the same deal - the green light comes on, but the new hardware wizard thing doesn't come up and Device Manager doen't see anything either - I know that my USB ports work fine, too. To me, this almost definitely looks like an issue with the Arduino...

lou

Post by lou »

tim.bounceback wrote:OK, just tried it on Windows and it's the same deal - the green light comes on, but the new hardware wizard thing doesn't come up and Device Manager doen't see anything either - I know that my USB ports work fine, too. To me, this almost definitely looks like an issue with the Arduino...
Yeah, it sort of does. Have you tried tech support with whoever you bought it from? Trying it on Windows was an excellent idea on your part.

Grasping at straws; have you tried it both with and without a USB hub? If you have another device that emulates a serial port (I have a GPS receiver like that), and it works on the same system, hub, cable, etc., that's also something to tell tech support. Along with the results of your Windows test.

One other thing, and I'm not familiar enough with Arduino to be authoritative, but I understand that the power source for the board is selectable between USB and external power. The green light being on might mean that that is already selected properly, but if it doesn't, that could theoretically cause a problem such as this.

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

lou wrote:
tim.bounceback wrote:OK, just tried it on Windows and it's the same deal - the green light comes on, but the new hardware wizard thing doesn't come up and Device Manager doen't see anything either - I know that my USB ports work fine, too. To me, this almost definitely looks like an issue with the Arduino...
Yeah, it sort of does. Have you tried tech support with whoever you bought it from?
I bought it from Adafruit, so I'm emailing ladyada right now...
lou wrote:Grasping at straws; have you tried it both with and without a USB hub?
I don't have one :(
lu wrote:If you have another device that emulates a serial port (I have a GPS receiver like that), and it works on the same system, hub, cable, etc., that's also something to tell tech support. Along with the results of your Windows test.
I'll dig around for something like that, dunno if I have one...
lou wrote:One other thing, and I'm not familiar enough with Arduino to be authoritative, but I understand that the power source for the board is selectable between USB and external power. The green light being on might mean that that is already selected properly, but if it doesn't, that could theoretically cause a problem such as this.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it just uses the USB by default and switches to external power if USB power isn't available - as far as I know, there is now way to switch it - besides, I'm pretty sure the green light indicates it is selected properly, but who knows?

lou

Post by lou »

tim.bounceback wrote:
lou wrote:One other thing, and I'm not familiar enough with Arduino to be authoritative, but I understand that the power source for the board is selectable between USB and external power. The green light being on might mean that that is already selected properly, but if it doesn't, that could theoretically cause a problem such as this.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it just uses the USB by default and switches to external power if USB power isn't available - as far as I know, there is now way to switch it - besides, I'm pretty sure the green light indicates it is selected properly, but who knows?
I have so many boards in my head to varying degrees. I might have been thinking of a different one. Whichever one I was thinking of has the voltage selectable by a jumper.

I was just kind of hoping, for your sake, that it would be something easy. Product returns are never fun.

trialex

Post by trialex »

tim.bounceback wrote:Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it just uses the USB by default and switches to external power if USB power isn't available - as far as I know, there is now way to switch it - besides, I'm pretty sure the green light indicates it is selected properly, but who knows?
There very much definitely is a way to select the power source; at least on the Diecimila that you have. There is a set of three pins next to the USB port labeled "PWR SEL" - put a jumper across the two closest to the USB port for USB power, or across the two closest to the external power plug for external power.

Picture: (large)
http://www.adafruit.com/images/large/decimilla_LRG.jpg

Not sayin' this is your problem though...

lou

Post by lou »

trialex wrote:Not sayin' this is your problem though...
I've just looked up the schematic, and if the PWR LED is lit, the jumper is definitely set correctly.

tim.bounceback

Post by tim.bounceback »

Yeah, I made sure the jumper was set. I emailed ladyada, and she's getting me a replacement, so hopefully the problem should be solved :D. Thanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”