16x2 LCD doesn't work correctly when powered on

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kjata1013

Re: 16x2 LCD doesn't work correctly when powered on

Post by kjata1013 »

So, I had this problem too. I haven't used my LCD in a few weeks. Before that I was using Pins 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and had no issues what so ever. I used this set up that I have attached a million times before, no problems. Went to use it today and no matter what I did, I got one line of blocks and nothing else. Even this really easy code:

Code: Select all

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd (7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);

void setup()
{
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  lcd.print("Yo");

}

void loop()
{
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  lcd.print(millis()/1000);
}
I found this thread, changed pin 7 to 6 and it works fine. Any ideas why it would stop working like that?
Attachments
fritzing.jpg
fritzing.jpg (144.32 KiB) Viewed 994 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What other things have you been doing with your Arduino since the lat time you had the LCD hooked up? One possibility is that your pi 7 was damaged somehow. It is also possible that the breadboard connection next to that pin is bad. You might have better luck using another breadboard hole for your jumper.

kjata1013

Post by kjata1013 »

Hrm. That's interesting. Well, I tried 2 different bread boards. I have a mini breadboard, then I tried it on my MakerShield. I have a tiny breadboard on there. I just last night finished the AVR shield and had been moving it on and off of the MakerShield. It was a tight fit because I didn't have my Arduino to put the header pins on, I had to tape them on and keep them straight, maybe I damaged it that way. Shoot. Other than that, the LCD's been sitting in a box in my room. Tsk. I'll have to test the breadboards and the MakerShield....Thanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”