Adifruit 16 channel PWM with Arduino

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deleot

Adifruit 16 channel PWM with Arduino

Post by deleot »

i have bought the Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685

i am using a rev 3 arduino uno board i have downloaded the sample coding that was on your website here and it is not working

I can see the i2c clock and it seems to be sending the slave address repeatedly

i have attempted to change the address on the board as well as in the program to match each other but this has had no avail

I am getting no movement or even a pwm output from the adafruit board

any help on this would be great if there is a way to get someone on the phone to talk it would be greatly appreciated

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adifruit 16 channel PWM with Arduino

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The sample code should work with no address changes. Post some photos showing your soldering and connections to the UNO.

deleot

Post by deleot »

It was not working even with out the address change and at the moment i removed the jumpers and have cleaned all the contacts.

deleot

Post by deleot »

I have also had several people check the wiring I have the 5v from the ardiuno running to both the VCC and V+ i have a ground connected as well by the V+ from the ardiuno

I then have a wire from Sda and SCL to thier proper analog 4 and 5

I know this is not a issue with the way i have it hooked up i am transmitting the clock and address but it goes no further than that

adafruit_support_bill

Please post photos showing your soldering and connections.

deleot

Post by deleot »

now that you can see my wiring is correct and the soldering is done right

can you please answer my question and yes i know right now my address should be 0xB4

this is based on the 1+_ _ _ _ _ _ r/w format

which shown i have 1100100X

tldr

Post by tldr »

looks like you've ignored the advise against using the arduino's 5v line to power your servos. can't tell how many or what size servos you're using, but you may just be resetting the arduino every time you try to move one.

and you haven't connected the ground pin on the logic header. that's probably not a problem, though, since you're using the 5v supply for the servos, but i can't find a schematic so, who knows?

adafruit_support_bill

now that you can see my wiring is correct and the soldering is done right
It's a bit blurry but I see a lot of pad showing on those header joints.
can you please answer my question
You have said that it doesn't work and I am attempting to help diagnose the cause.
and yes i know right now my address should be 0xB4
No. The base address is 0x40 and what you have programmed there is 0x64. Addressing is explained in the tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/16-channel-pw ... ng-drivers
And the data sheet is here:
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/PCA9685.pdf

arctic_eddie

Post by arctic_eddie »

In the photo, it appears that the OE pin is unconnected. This needs to be pulled down to enable the outputs. Also, the photo suggests that the A5 and A2 address pads are closed. This would give the board an address of 100.

deleot

Post by deleot »

Arctic_Eddie wrote:In the photo, it appears that the OE pin is unconnected. This needs to be pulled down to enable the outputs. Also, the photo suggests that the A5 and A2 address pads are closed. This would give the board an address of 100.
\

thanks for the help you should be moderator I was curious about that OE pin and couldn't find anything on it in the tech specs to much

I'll give that a shot in the morning

adafruit_support_bill

OE has a 10K pulldown on-board. There is no need to connect to it unless you want to pull it high to disable the outputs.

deleot

Post by deleot »

adafruit_support wrote:OE has a 10K pulldown on-board. There is no need to connect to it unless you want to pull it high to disable the outputs.

well ok

the problem still is that i am not getting the verify bit from the adafruit board

I didn't have the jumpers on for the address to start i added them after i had a oscope hooked up i could see it sending the address but it get no verify and then continues to repeat sending the address this has been the case with or with out the address jumpers added.

either the chip is not working or i am missing something is there a way to verify this chip is even good???

oh and thats not the edges of the pads your seeing in my solder job thats resin i used a old 60/40 with a resin core the dwells are quite nice on them but i haven't cleaned the resin off yet

adafruit_support_bill

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”